Monday, August 08, 2011

Life is Too Short For Boring Nails


This all started because of an 11 year old. And not the one you're thinking. I was at a Confirmation meeting in March, with the little girl I was sponsoring, one I also used to babysit. She turned to me and asked, "did you do your nails yourself?". I had been on a do it yourself, it's nicer for your budget anyways kick, and replied, "yes". "Oh, that's why there is some on your skin" came the response. Not that eleven year olds run my world, but the fact that: a) I work with my hands and people see them all day while I check receipts, b) I care what I look like, and c) happen to live nine months out of the year across the street from a nail salon that gives me a discount prompted me to get my act together.

Here are my favorites:

I got these done based off of a picture I found off the internet, and I love the design because it is very me, and if it's anything I have discovered about myself is that my cool toned skin (read: pale) looks good in jewel tones. The nail technician added the sparkles all on her own, but that is very me as well.



These are what I fondly referred to as my "ghetto girl" nails. This picture is kind of poor quality, but they are a bright fluorescent pink, with an overlay of two coats of pink glitter sparkles. When I stated they were my ghetto nails, Lyndsie said they were more like Barbie nails, which is more my flow. I got them in honor of Courtney's 21st birthday and they were very fitting and party appropriate. Courtney got gold sparkles, also very appropriate. 


These are the nails that I have gotten the most compliments on. I basically went to my fave ladies at Jolie (they get a lot of mentions on this blog!) and said:
"Have you heard of Katy Perry?"
They hadn't.
"Well, I am going to her concert and I was hoping to get something wild on my nails."
"How about zebra print?"
"Can you make it pink?"
And this is what came out! I don't know how many people actually liked my nails, and how many were just stunned you could get zebra print on your nails. Regardless, these were so fun and I had a blast at the concert.
Other Honorable Mentions:
- I've had baby pink with a purple french tip.
- Hot pink with a white flower- it came from a failed moon manicure but it was gorgeous!
- My current color is Do You Lilac it? By OPI, like the first purple shade in these pictures but matte. I got them in honor of Courtney around the same time she left for London, and it is hands down the color I have gotten the most compliments on as just a single shade, no nail design. It appeals to a lot of people.

Kay y'all, my creativity can only go so far. What nail designs do you recommend?

4 Comments:

Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

I love the hot pink sparkles! I love super bright colors and sparkly nailpolish. I recently got the perfect 80's neon pink and neon/lime yellow/green. Not quite sure what the color actually is, but it's bright! I haven't used that one yet. So, maybe when I come visit :)

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Not Not Yo Dad said...

Save your money and do your own nails. Better yet, don't do your nails at all. Put the money you saved in a C/D (certificate of deposit, not compact disc) and watch the interest grow exponentially, once a Republican gets back into office, that is. PS. Do you like my new "hipper" name?

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Queen of England said...

Love the lilac color! I almost bought a bottle. But alas it was too expensive! Nice post. Miss you!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Love the designs! I still want to get the "Waity Katy" nail color. Oh, and I see they sell the mini kits in the 99 cents stores so one can make their own flowa.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home