Thursday, July 28, 2011

Shades of Ally

So, one day when I was day dreaming in class, I thought ahead to next year, when I would have my very own studio apartment to decorate in whichever crazy way I wished. And then I made a list, because that is how I process. My theme, because I am always disjointed and never able to stick with just one theme, is Moroccan- English-with a dash of Latin American.

Target Elephant Teapot, $15.99
So, first things first, I would just like to put out there that whenever I think of the word Moroccan, I think of Mariah Carey. Because she named her son that. Moroccan. Because Nick Cannon proposed to her in the Moroccan wing of her house. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. But it makes me laugh.

Anyways, I like the exotic and relaxing feeling, nonetheless, and a little known fact about me is that, more than anything, I want an elephant teapot in my room. For looks. Ever since I saw one that was made in Indonesia at Pier One Imports. Or maybe it was Cost Plus World Market. One of the two.

Other items I considered getting to go with this part of the theme: A paper lantern light, the colors red and white, shawls to hang up, a circular rug.

Custom Silhouette, $30
I don't actually want much of the English theme in my room, mostly Moroccan (laughs again), but something that I do desperately want that I feel fits in this theme is a custom silhouette of my own profile. I think they are so classy, as well as personalized, and vintage. You actually send the girl your own picture and she makes them for you according to the picture. 

This also reminds me of Knott's Berry Farm, which we all know I love. If I can just get a picture of my family dressed up in western wear from Knott's and hang it next to my profile silhouette, my life will be complete. So maybe this part of the decorating theme is more Western than English. Except I do want to frame my Keep Calm and Carry On poster.

Virgen de Guadalupe Cross, $45
I don't have too much planned for the Latin American dash decorations either, all I really want in life is a bedazzled Virgen de Guadalupe. A statue or poster, there has to be a bedazzled one in Olvera Street, there has just got to be!

If I cannot manage to find one of those, I would make do with one of these crosses with the Virgen on it. In the van Ingen household, there is a cross in every room, and it's not purely for our Catholic religion's sake, it also counts for decoration and for protection, and it's something traditional that we just do. It would be nice to carry on that protection at school.

Unfortunately for me, I realized decorating in such wide proportions would require me buying all these new items, and it seems silly to have for only six months. But one day I have many dreams and decorations for my own place!

Lastly, my title was inspired by a movie I just finished watching called Shades of Ray, about a half Pakistani and half white man who is coming to terms with dating in and out of his heritage. I really liked it and recommend it to you all! Plus Zachary Levi is in it, and he is a total cutie =)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Not Not Your Dad said...

I like the teapot because it's white and I like the cross because...well it's a cross.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

I love collecting crosses. I have one from Notre Dame in Paris. Yes, they actually have a little gift stand in the church. I also have a very plain wooden cross from Costa Rica. Yet,I don't have one from every country I visited.

I was supposed to get a proper tea pot, cups, and saucer when I was in London but never got around to it. I also admire the asian kind with the cute little cups.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous angie cruz said...

i like your style if i had my own studio it would be like a vintage/paris theme.:)

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home