Monday, July 11, 2011

Did you know kuku is nail in Indonesian?

I have gotten quite a few compliments on my nails dating back from a few months til now, and I can thank regular manicures every fortnight for that (future post in the works).

People are constantly asking me if I have gotten the Shellac manicure. The first time I got a really confused look (which I hopefully was able to hide but probably not) then lied and said I had. Apparently, under pressure, I just spew lies.

But then I went to my new fave nail place (Jolie Nails. Student discount. Offers free sodas. Conveniently located across from the SU campus. No brainer) and saw they had the special Shellac nail polish, so I thought I would give it a try. See below:


Ignore the steamy sauna look. Focus on the raspberry colored french tips.

As with most things in life, there were positives and negatives to this particular manicure, but I will try to share them all in case you would ever like to get one:

- Positive: The brand claims to last for a minimum of twenty one days. And mine lasted for twenty eight days without a chip. So they weren't lying on that front.
Negative: For one thing, I can usually make my el cheapo manicure last for at least fourteen days without a chip (read: I don't do any work with my hands and therefore my nails stay immaculate). Plus, being that I have a mind bursting full of nail designs, I got a little bored with the same french tips (albeit pink ones) for a month.
- Negative: There are literally about six layers of special UV nail polish they put on between base, color, and top coats, and after each layer you have to dry them under a UV light. This takes forever and a day. And because of all this special light crap, they skip my fave part of the manicure, the lotioning.
Positive: My fave ladies at Jolie massage my back instead.
Close up, dahling.

- Negative: It costs $25 instead of $10. 
Positive: It lasts for twenty eight days. So I guess the money is equivalent.
- Positive: No nail polish remover, nicks, or anything stand a chance against this polish.
 Negative: I try not to get acrylics anymore, because they are so hard on my nails. But this nail polish was too legit to quit, so to get the last bits off they had to sand it off. 

Now if only they would do a groupon for a cheaper Shellac manicure =)

3 Comments:

Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

They look nice. I wonder if that's the same thing my co-worker was telling me about. I can't remember...
However, I still prefer doing my own nails. And I go all out when I do them. Base coat, air dry, color, air dry enough, 2nd coat of color, air dry enough, run ice cold water over them, air dry the water, top coat, air dry, run cold water over them, air dry the water.
:)
Needless to say, I don't do my nails very often these days.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Not Not Your Dad said...

You should go with the Spanky method outlined above. It will save you money in two ways. Obviously, you won't have to shell out the $25 plus tip for the shellac attack. Secondly, all the time it would take you to do this would time away from the mall, thai restaurants, or other places you go to spend money.

Also, in a related note, Men should never ever get a manicure.

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Not Not Your Dad said...

Oops! "...would be time away from the mall..." Got a little ahead of myself and left out the word, "be", above. Sorry.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home