Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Our family dates back centuries, dahling....

Whilst I was perusing the latest issue of Harper's Bazaar (Tyra Banks as Michelle Obama? It struck me as funny that they dressed her like that because they probably couldn't get the real Michelle Obama. Meanwhile, I've seen the Obama's, whether it's Barack, Michelle, or the entire family, on nearly half the magazines at the library. I half expect to see him on Vogue Knitting next) I noticed a lot of trends for fall. Three prominent ones came to mind, and I will be covering them these three days.
The first: crests! Which remind me so terribly of boarding schools and Gossip Girls. And perhaps this is also because I am reading A Great and Terrible Beauty.


Remember The Fresh Prince of Bel Air? And Will was too cool for that school and those uniforms so he turned his regulation navy blue uniform blazer inside out to reveal the cool fabric underneath? This blazer kind of reminds me of that, for reasons I don't even know. But hey, cool preppy blazer with a crest! $27.80

Forever 21 had a plethora of crest jewelry and clothing, and guess what? This one's on sale! $3.99

And here are these cutie patootie earrings. Well, actually, they aren't that cute, they are more strong and masculine. But no matter. $9.99


I was looking through all the usual suspects for crest adorned things (Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, the Gap, Old Navy, etc.) and Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters delivered, but hardly any other place did. And then, like a message from the sky, it dawned on me! All the times I have walked past the PINK (affiliate of Victoria's Secret) store at the mall, half the stuff they have is covered in crests! It was actually a chore choosing just one item from them! Above, the "crest tote". $48

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love crests. I actually found the Eyre family crest online. The English are really into those kind of things.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the crest motif was "in" for a while back in the eighties when The Facts of Life show was at its height of popularity. I guess fads do come back eventually!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I love the Herringbone Executive jacket with crest! I may have to look into that further!:) I actually looked at Victoria's Secret for your university logo in the Pink University line. Its not available, although Washington University is!

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really like Crest. I'm more of a Colgate person...Oh! You're talking about little patches that turn an $8 shirt into a $40 blouse. Of course, I will have to speak about the down side of this subject. Besides unacceptably inflating the price of things, crests (on shirts)cause extreme discomfort to the "chi chi" if you are not wearing an undershirt. Heck, some even chafe through the undershirt. Crests are another of these non-value added accessories that have fashion designers laughing at you all the way to the bank as they now have made 300% profit on their clothes as opposed to just %150. Furthermore, you know that our people (Indonesians, Mexicans, etc.) don't get any more money from sweat shop moguls like Kathy Lee Gifford for having to do the extra work of crest attachment.
Signed,
Not Your Dad, but possibly Queen Elizabeth or Margaret Thatcher, and definitely not Tony Blair.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home