Monday, August 25, 2008

Dum dum de dum...

1) My apologies for being so late in posting today, but some lovely children broke our Internet this morning. For the second time. In a month.
2) For those of you who couldn't already tell, my title is supposed to be read to the tune of the Wedding March. Which, by the way, I have already decided I don't really want to walk down the aisle to, because it is so overplayed and everyone does that! Like, don't get me wrong, I am ALL FOR Tradition, but the Wedding March will be my only conventional missing piece. And just to prove to my mom that there ARE other songs out there, I looked it up... A Whole New World came up (the Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey version! Who both, by the way, tie into weddings and this post very intricately), which is a song I love, but not to process down to. But fear not, there's about a hundred songs (Can't Take my Eyes off of You!), and I found them on this website called Wedding Wire, which of course got me sidetracked for about 20 minutes.
3) I just read this quote in Allure that said "A conversation should be like a mini skirt, short enough to keep your attention but long enough to cover the subject". Well, I'm warning you now, that this blog post will be long and drawn out because I could talk about weddings for days. Daaayyyysssss.

So, most of the wedding research I've gotten so far is from Jessica Simpson's wedding book and wedding magazines and those unrealistic shows where the wedding costs half a million dollars (literally). Which admittedly, aren't great or all-encompassing sources. But it's all I have. And I have found some good venues. For instance, my dream photographer would be Joe Buissink. He has done many celebrity weddings (Nick and Jessica's, but others too) and I went on his site, and I could not find a.single.picture. that I didn't love. NOT A SINGLE ONE! I really don't know how to stress what a good photographer he is. Go to his site, at the link (NOT A) above. And be prepared to be amazed! And I'm also passionate about this because to me, I think the photographer and the cake are the two most important elements. This is only my opinion, and others may feel its the dress or the food or the guest book. I don't' care. If I had to walk barefoot, have a dress from Target, and pick dandelions off the sidewalk for a bouquet in order to afford the best of the best photography and cake, then I would. Because the photos capture the memories!

Ok, so the cake, my second most important element. As a disclaimer, you will never see a cake like this at my wedding. Because I detest flowers on the cake (you'll understand in the next paragraph) and would like as little flowers as possible. But. The reason I have this picture is because the cake was made by Perfect Endings (run by Sam Godfrey) in Napa Valley, and he's like THE wedding cake guy. He did Nick and Jessica's cake (above), and he's done cakes for Oprah, and for me those three pretty much seal the deal. Oh, and the reason I refer to Nick and Jessica so often is because when their Newlyweds show came out, I was hooked. Like hooookkkeeed. I wanted to be Jessica and marry Nick and live in Calabasas and jet around to the Bahamas and Mexico and New York and have a maltipoo and have shopping sessions with my mom and say that's cute fifty million times and annoy all the viewers. Like that was my dream life. So of course their wedding was like my dream wedding and I have all the seasons of Newlyweds on DVD btw, and we will all just gloss over the fact that they broke up and Jessica is an airhead and their marriage would have never worked out because Nick was always looking at Jessica like she was this annoying five year old. Mmkay?!

Lastly, flowers. I for one think flowers are the biggest waste of time and money for any and every wedding, and I for one will be spending as little money as possible on them, because they just die the next day and they hardly smell enough to notice them. And you do not need flowers dripping from every table and ceiling and chair and what not, like why? Hence my aversion to flowers on the cake, eww. I'd rather have some bows or beads, polka dots for gosh sakes, anything but flowers. The only flowers I have ever seen that I even remotely like are Calla lilies. They are simple, they come in multiple colors, and they kinda take up a lotta space so you don't need a lot. The above picture has the colors all wrong (I am always drawn to the pinks, purples, and whites) but I chose it because a) it's from Mark's Garden (who did, you guessed it! Nick and Jessica's wedding!) and b) I like the simplicity of the design. $85

Ok, I promise. I am done with talking about weddings. At least for a little while. I actually wanted to be a wedding planner earlier in life, until my parents scoffed at me and told me it was only a "seasonal job". Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure couples get married year round (believe it or not!) and also, I believe Mindy Weiss, celeb wedding planner extraordinaire, gets paid more than a lot of people to plan weddings! But whatevah! And lastly, I'm sorry if I bored you to tears. But as you can see, weddings are something I am passionate about, and I may be preaching to the choir, but hopefully not.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always laugh at those celebrities that pay a million dollars for their weddings and the marriages barely last a few years if that. In defense of Nick and Jessica, young marriages usually don't last with the exception of your lovely parents. I would just like to give a shout out to them and wish them a belated Happy Anniversary.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure that the blogmaster's dad would thank you, Aunt Lola, for the shout out. Now for the blogmaster. You need to get out of the clouds. It's fine to dream, but Donald Trump would have a hard time paying for your wedding. Remember, if your wedding day is the best day of your life, you are going to have a sad marriage. There's nothing wrong with having a good old fashioned back yard wedding. I bet that your grandmother could whip up a very good batch of Chicken en Mole'. You could make a big punch bowl full of Kool Aid (Orange, Lemonade, or Cherry). Pigs in a blanket would make a good appetizer. Most importantly, you must use the traditional wedding entrance song for the wedding to count. You could use some of those other songs for dancing at the reception. The only extravagance that might be acceptable would be having Mariachi's playing songs during dinner. When the day comes to an end, you could retire to the boudoir of your local Motel 6, before heading off to your honeymoon in Reseda, CA.
Signed,
Not your dad, but possibly Larry the Cable Guy or Earl, and definitely not Liz Taylor.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE talking about weddings so if you happen to spend a lot of time on your blog discussing the subject, I'm all for it! When planning my own wedding, I was inspired by Prince Charles and Princess Diana's wedding. (I know, another couple who had an expensive wedding and ended up divorced) I remember watching all the festivities on tv with my mom when I was 13 or 14. I especially remember the moment on the eve of her wedding, when Lady Diana came out on the balcony and waved to the crowd. My favorite part was when the couple rode in a horse and carriage and waved to everyone lined up on the streets and as my mom explained, their wedding day will be the only time that they will ride in FRONT of the queen, otherwise protocol requires that the queen's carriage goes first. I just loved the royal grandness of it all so of course, I had to have a horse and carriage when I got married. I think your wedding day is the one day you should get to feel like a princess--and don't forget that Ally! (as much as your dad will try and get you to elope, tell him you want a big and expensive wedding)

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a common thread here. If you have a big expensive lavish wedding, you get divorced. If you take the poor man's route, you usually stay married.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have your wedding anyway you want it but you should also keep in mind YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE COST, because NYD is BROKE!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

I think people are missing the point. I am not saying I am having a wedding rivaling Jessica Simpson's or even Star Jones' (who had a 28 foot train and attendents carrying it! Among other lavish things!). I am going to have my dream wedding within my budget. Obviously, how could I afford otherwise? Am I going to pay three thousand dollars for a cake if I only have a thousand for the budget of it? Hell to the no! I'm just starting to plan now! =) My head is not in the clouds,far from it. "If you have a big expensive lavish wedding you will get divorced", says the man who had three hundred (300!!!) guests at his wedding. I imagine THAT was expensive, and it was certainly big! I don't even know 300 people to invite to my wedding (which means he certainly didn't so I don't know where they all came from). And I will have my wedding any way I want! And I don't expect NYD to pay a single cent, and I for sure know he's broke, otherwise I wouldn't be 80,000 dollars in debt in four years because I'm paying my entire tuition by myself. I guess we can just add my wedding tab to my student loans tab, I'll probably be paying them off at the same time =)

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

301 guests if you include the homeless man who got in line to the buffet and sat himself down at a table and ate.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Whats all this talk about marriage? Lets just get Boo through her first year of college. (We'll talk Vera Wang down the road!);)

5:11 PM  
Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

I think my ideas of a dream wedding have changed over the years too much. I think I'll just elope :)

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home