Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Since we're on the subject of possible careers...

And since I've already thrown out wedding planner, (another option: SeaWorld Trainer!) I figured I might as well mention: Personal Assistant! Honestly, ever since I saw the Devil Wears Prada. I really just like the whole planning thing, and I love Blackberrys and carrying around a planner and a notebook at the ready to record my celebrity/real estate agent(hello Jeff Lewis!)/magazine editor's every word. And I tend to work best under pressure. Call me crazy.

Of the essentials any assistant should have, I'd say a Blackberry is at the top. It's a phone, which you'll need in order to communicate with your client and their cohorts. But also, it moonlights as a calendar (also good for planning), a place to send and receive email ( a route of communication some people use more than phones), a texting tool (very big with celebrities. And the Blackberry is great for texting because it has a full keyboard), something to use the Internet from, a place to write tasks you need to do or notes to yourself, a place to instant message someone, a place to hold your addresses (the many you'll have in your arsenal for your client, i.e. Bobby the hair guy, Tina the make-up artist, Ted the car guy, Carrie the dog girl, etc. etc.), a camera (2.0 mega pixel! More than my dad's first digital camera! =), a calculator, and an alarm! It's pretty much SuperPhone!


Every single assistant I've ever seen (on TV of course) carries a notebook around with them. I mean Blackberry's can do everything and anything, but when you're trying to write " Tell Simone I'm not going to approve that girl that she sent me for the Brazilian layout. I asked for clean, athletic, smiling; she sent me dirty, tired and paunchy. And RSVP yes to Michael Kors' party, I want the driver to drop me off at 9:30 and pick me up at 9:45 sharp. Then call Natalie at Glorious Foods and tell her no, for the 40th time, no, I don't want dacquoise, I want tortes filled with warm rhubarb compote. Then call my ex-husband and remind him that the parent/teacher conference at Dalton tonight. Then call my husband. Ask him to please meet me for dinner at that place I went to with Mossimo. Also, tell Richard I saw all the pictures that he sent for that feature on the female paratroopers and they're all so deeply unattractive. Is it impossible to find a lovely, slender, female paratrooper? Am I reaching for the stars here? Not really. Also I need to see all the things that Nigel has pulled for Gwyneth's second cover try. I wonder if she's lost any of that weight yet" then it is best to write like the wind, not type into your BB. Jessica and Team Griffin from Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List? Check! Emily from the Devil Wears Prada? Check! Jenny from Flipping Out? Check! They all have small(ish) black notebooks to write down everything in. Personally, I hear Moleskine notebooks are the best. And I particularly like the one above, it's called the City notebook, and it has maps of a major city in it, plus blank pages, and tabs, and clear things to put over a map to trace your route. I, of course, would choose the LA one, because if you're an assistant chances are you live in LA.

And lastly, if you are a personal assistant, chances are you will be dodging paparazzi. And for that you will need some killer shades =) $5.80

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that movie, The Devil Wears Prada, and since you're considering a career as a personal assistant, I'll cross my fingers that you don't get a boss like Meryl Streep! (She might call you Andrea and not Ally)

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If personal assistant is your dream job, I feel that you're aiming way too low. In fact, you probably don't even need to go to college for that. What you should strive for is the person who has a personal assistant. From what I can tell, you seem like a very creative and intelligent person, so you should shoot for the stars. Get your bachelor's degree and then a masters and then go get that job in which you not only need a personal assistant, but also a driver and executive administrator.
Signed,
Not Your Dad, but possibly Bill Gates or Paul Allen, and definitely not any of Kathy Griffin's assistants.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Wedding planner?.....Personal assistant?......I think we need to change your major! :)

10:28 PM  
Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

I thought about being a Sea World trainer, too lol!! But then I remembered I don't like swimming with animals :B


You can be my personal assistant if you want. But I can't pay you much :(

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The salary of a personal assistant won't pay for your interest on your student loans much less the principal.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home