Thursday, August 28, 2008

Because even gnarly tablecloths need to make it into fashion

Trend number two: Florals! Personally, all the ways I saw them in Harper's Bazaar looked a little gag-inducing, so my mission today was to scour the website for tasteful and chic ways to do florals, in so much as you don't look like Bea Arthur when you wear it.


I love this dress for so many reasons! For one, it is a lovely shade of purple! And for another, there is very little floral. This is how floral patterns should be worn, with much restraint, in my opinion. Oh! I also like the floatiness of the dress away from the body as well as the pockets =)
$19.90

Once, my coworker and I were joking around. I was carrying a stack of books. And he said, "Ally, are you secretly hoarding books in your locker?" and I said "No Mario, my locker is magic like Mary Poppins' bag and the books just pile in there no matter how many I have, just like Mary Poppins pulled a standing lamp outta her bag". And then I kicked up my heel (no joke!) and misused the word analogy. Typical night at the library. Anyways, the point of that story was that this floral bag reminds me of Mary Poppins' carpet bag. 'Nuff said. $58

There is a show called Project Runway. On it there are girls named Leanne and Kenley. I believe one or the other might wear this. Am I right? $48

Speaking of, this dress has what we would like to call at Project Runway, a nice silhouette. Almost like a 1950's dancer or singer would wear. I almost said harlot, but no, we need not go that extreme. I love the shape, I love the pattern. I also love that I am branching out to new stores, (meanwhile Urban Outfitters, Old Navy, Target, and Forever 21 should pay me for all the times I feature them) and this is from a store called Topshop (based in Britain, or the UK, I'm not sure what, if there is, a difference). What I don't like? That their size 16 is a size 12 in the US. Bollocks! About a hundred US dollars, if I translated right.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are cute outfits for someone your age.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think florals can be nice if done right. The skirt that is shown looks too much like an apron but I like the dress in the last picture--very pretty!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I like florals also to an extent. When I see certain floral dresses and blouses, they remind me of Holly Hobby and the 70's. Unfortunately, a lot of them are too young for me.

8:44 PM  
Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

I try to stay away from patterns altogether, especially floral. But, I do have 1 or 2 shirts I wear to work that have patterns.

I got the book in the mail yesterday, Ally! Thanks :D

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My post tonight will not involve anything to do with florals. I have some sudden and sad news for the blogmaster and her loyal readers. I will be taking a sabbatical from reading this blog and posting comments. No, no! Don't try to talk me out of it, as it's something that I have to do. Sorry for the sudden and short notification. I hope that someday I will be able to return and continue in my roll of providing you with insight and inspiration.
Signing off for now,
Not Your Dad, but possibly Jimmy Hoffa or Elvis, and definitely not Jim Morrison.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just happened upon your blog today. I read it, along with the comments, and have some comments of my own. First of all, floral anything is a fashion faux pax. My suggestion is that you always go with solid colors. In fact, if you just stick with white shirts and blue pants, you can never go wrong. One should always take the conservative route when it comes to one's wardrobe. You never want to look at photographs of yourself 10 years down the road and say, "What was I thinking?" Floral patterns should be limited to Moo-moos and drapes at your grandma's house.
That's all I've got to say about that.
The New Guy

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home