Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Like Honestly?

A review of what happened at Orientation might be a little boring for you all. Plus it's kinda hard to explain, you kinda had to be there. But I guess what I'll do is put the itinerary of what happened followed by my comments. I'm hoping they won't all be "We heard a speech. It was boring".


9:30 Early Check in for Liturgy or Placement Exams ONLY

Of course my dad and I went to mass so we could check in early. Which worked out well because we actually got parking and it was already busy so imagine if we'd gotten there later.
10:00 Liturgy or Placement Exams


10:30 Check in for Orientation begins

Since we had time to kill when everyone was still checking in, we got a hot tip that there was free scones in the student center. And of course we went there and I had a blueberry muffin and my dad had a scone and tea. And of course he went back for another scone.


11:45 Welcome to Seattle University

This was a very boring and overly long speech. They snuck in one too many speakers in like a 15 minute period.


12:00 Lunch

My dad chose to sit at the back so we could get fed first. But they pulled from each side of the room and then the middle, so we ended up being last. It was wraps again, like they always serve at SU functions. And since we were starving by the time we got to the line, I took two half wraps and a croissant sandwich, and felt no shame.




12:45 Summer Orientation Overview &
Orientation Advisor Introductions

This is where we met our small group leaders. My letter was C.


1:15 Seattle University’s Jesuit Education

Another very very boring speech. Two of my friends and I fell asleep.




2:10 Off to Class

Here I learned about the college I in particular was entering into, Matteo Ricci. That is where I get two majors (not just a double major, but like two diplomas and I walk twice and everything). One degree in Humanities, and one in either journalism or psychology(the second is my choice). This was the first of many times where I had to introduce myself to an entire class full of people (or at least 20 people). The professor here, Dr. Madsen, was particularly funny, I liked him.



3:00 Break
I snarfed a cookie and some lemonade.

3:20 School or College Presentations

More Matteo Ricci. We heard from students also. Actually informative.




4:15 Our Diverse Community

About all the different races and religions and preferences at SU, which is oddly diverse for being a Catholic Jesuit school. Could have been more interesting than it was.




5:15 Home Sweet Home

About dorming. Clever name huh? We got to ask RAs questions and got a list of what to bring and what not to bring.


6:15 Dinner

Italian. Surprisingly yummy. Especially the lemon bars!


7:15 SU “Real World”

Skits from the PHAT dept (Something and Health Advice Team or something). The skits were actually pretty good and this was one of the better recieved workshops.


8:00 Small Group Community Time

Exactly what it sounds like. Bleh! I am not a fan of small groups. And we played waaayyy too many ice breakers. Also my least fave.


9:00 Redhawk Social

Live band. free ice cream. Volleyball. Dodgeball. Karaoke. Board Games. My friends and I took random pictures then sat in a circle outside and told stories. Then we showered and hung out in Ariel's room but we felt bad for her roommate who we didn't know so we all moved to Lyndsie and I's room (Lyndsie and I are good friends from Kennedy and hope to be roomies next year). After they left at about 12:45, we tried to go to sleep.




7:30 Room Checkout & Breakfast

Lyndsie and I got up at 6:15 because we like being on time and we didn't have to rush. Breakfast was surprisingly good. My dad met us (me and three girls I know) for breakfast, but my friends think he is a laugh riot, for reasons I don't know =)

8:30 Nuts and Bolts

Financial Aid. Healthcare ish.


9:30 Group 1 Advising & Fall Class Schedules

Group 2 Campus Technology
Group 3 Academic Success
Group 4 Campus Card
Group 5 Spirit, Faith & Community

Although we were separated into groups, I was in group 3. This workshop was super boring and overly long. They tried to teach us to time manage, which we already know, but just don't do.


10:25
Group 3 Campus Technology

They taught us how to log onto the computers and forward our email. Then the rest of the forty minutes we all spent on myspace.


11:20
Group 3 Advising & Fall Class Schedules
I already had my schedule, and have since June because of Matteo Ricci, so I kinda just sat there.



12:00 Lunch

I had to go to the Costco Scholars Luncheon since they gave me a scholarship. We had burgers. And now my dad is all a twitter because you can get internships from them.


1:00

Group 3 Spirit, Faith & Community

Normally you'd think this would be a boring session. But it was about campus ministry and very informative and fun looking and I think I will join next year.


1:55

Group 3 Campus Card
This was very important, but only took about ten minutes, and then we had to play ice breakers until the next thing. I was ice breakered out so my friend martha and I just sat out.
2:45 Orientation Closing
3:15 Luggage Pick up & Departure
And then home, thank God!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What an eventful day! Thanks for sharing and it sounded like a lot of fun for the most part. We're glad you got your feet "wet" with college life! We just wanted to take the opportunity to say again how proud we are of you! This is so exciting! BTW, don't hesitate to pass on that list of what you need for your dorm--I'm sure the family would like to contribute something to make your transition/move easier. Let us know!

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly to say, the dorm room is so small, all she's going to be able to bring are clothes (4 sets), towels, sheets, and her lap top. If she brings anything else, it will have to sit in the hall or on her bed. Cash, on the other hand,will fit in her room no matter how much she gets. ;-)
Signed, not your dad, just a concerned citizen who enjoys assisting the college bound.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, the blue type shows up very nicely on the black background, Ally--good choice! And to the concerned citizen: I like your cash comment--very funny!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Thanks for sharing Boo! I'm very excited for you! I hope you and your friends have a smooth transition, find your classes interesting,like your teachers, and have fun in the campus life! I noticed while up there you have a Subway across the street from your dorm. Let me know of any other restaurants, drug stores, movie theatres, etc. that you may find yourself a regular at nearby. I'm sure you'll be needing a break from cafeteria food!:)

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home