Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Keep the Song (and now movie) lists coming!

Movies! Ok, so unlike songs, I am very adamant about my movies. And even though I've seen tons (you should see our movie collection. It's like Blockbusters down there in the basement), and yet my five favorite movies popped into my head, practically in order. And unlike my (current) favorite songs, my favorite movies have all stayed the same for several years now. Here are my top favorite movies. They are all my favorites so the order isn't always important, but I tried to put them in the order I like them now.

So, Clue. My friend Liz introduced this movie to me when we were like in seventh or eighth grade, and it was playing on HBO a lot at the time. So one day I watched it, and instantly fell in love. For one, I really like the board game Clue. Not that you have to like it to like this movie. I also rather like group comedies ( a la Blazing Saddles. Which sadly did not make my top five. But could almost be interchanged with Pirates and certainly gets Top Honorable Mention at the very least. I might throw it in at the end). Anyways, this is like a murder mystery with six people who play all the board game players plus a butler and they have all the weapons (knife, lead pipe, etc.) and they're trying to find out who killed Mr. Boddy (not a typo). And, surprisingly (or not) hilarity ensues. I may just have to share my favorite line: "Who are you?" "I'm the butler, sir". "And what do you do?" "I buttle, sir". Bahaha. Sorry, the first time I saw that I could not stop laughing. They have it at Target for 5.50 (don't let that deter you!) but I couldn't find that online. $6.99

The first two movies are under appreciated movies (in my opinion) that not many people have watched. This comedy came out in 2004. It's about three guys whose friend dies before the four of them could go on a trip so the three take the road trip to Oregon in his honor and they're like camping but they're pretty inexperienced and a lot of funny and weird things happen. It's really funny and Matthew Lillard is in it, who I rather like. It's a hard movie to explain in order for people to see the good aspects of, so you should just watch it! =) $11.99

This is not a comedy, nor is it recent. But I love love love this movie. I love love love loved the book and I have an odd fascination with the south. I think the actress who played Scarlett (fiddle lee dee! =) was perfect and so was Rhett. This movie has great scenery and not bad effects considering it was made in 1941. I also love the costumes so much, the party at Ashley's plantation comes to mind with all the girls in those pastel dresses comes to mind. Obviously, in some ways I am just as equally concerned with the visuals than with the plot, and this movie fed my eyes. I first watched it in 8th grade and then bought it and still do not hesitate watching it all the way through on many occasions. $13.99

When I was i the third grade, this was my ALL TIME Favorite movie. I was in love with Danny Zuko and consequentially John Travolta (Incidentally, I did not know that even then in 1999 he so did not look the same). And every year I wished we could have a Fun House at our school's yearly Fiesta (school carnival) so that I could mimic the final scene. Boy was I disappointed when they finally got one and it was way different and smaller than the one in the movie, haha. But anyways, this movie has anything a movie could want, love and music!! And I used to listen to the soundtrack over and over and went through a real oldies phase. But anyways, this movie is a classic. Because it was made in the 70's (?) and yet so many younger people like it. Even if my dad never fails to remind me it did not do well in the box office. I don't care. $13.49

I actually didn't see this in theaters, but when I came back to school the summer after it came out it was all anyone could talk about and I was upset I missed it. But initially I was all, "It's a movie about a ride at Disneyland. How good can it be?" Granted, even before the movie, Pirates of the Caribbean was my favorite ride. But still. And then when I saw it, I could see why everyone likes it. It has everything: Love! Action! Pirates! The Bahamas! Rum! Orlando Bloom! Johnny Depp!!! The story is surprisingly good and I'd say out of all three movies in the series, the first is the best! $14.99
And because it really is a good movie, and because my dad will be upset if I don't mention it, Blazing Saddles is also a really good, really funny movie. A really politically incorrect movie, but that's sort of what makes it funny I hate to say. Plus, I thought Borat was hilarious, so I just have that weird sense of humor. Blazing Saddles is a group comedy also and is a Mel Brooks movie, which is a good sign in my books. So check it out, having been warned though. $7.99

And lastly, like the title says, keep on commenting those song and now movie lists! I love reading them and hearing new tracks or titles to check out!!

12 Comments:

Blogger librarydaisy said...

1. Bladerunner
2. The Abyss
3. The Color Purple

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have quite a few movies that I like, so it will be hard to limit it to five, but I'll try, once again in no particular order.
1. The Octagon/Chuck Norris.
2. Brighton Beach Memoirs/Jonathan Silverman, Blythe Danner, etc.
3. Gone in Sixty Seconds (Remake)/Nicholas Cage.
4. The Bourne Identity/Matt Damon.
5. Ocean's 11/Matt Damon, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Andy Garcia, Don Cheadle, etc.
6. Rush Hour 1 and 2 (tie)/Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan.
7. Commando/Arnold Schwartzeneger.
8. The Rundown/The Rock.
9. Ghost Busters/Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray.
10. Silverado/Scott Glenn, Kevin Costner, Danny Glover, etc.
11. Die Hard/Bruce Willis.
12. Tremors/Kevin Bacon.
13. Swat/Colin Farell.
14. Lone Wolf McQuade/Chuck Norris.
15. Deep Blue Sea/LL Cool J.
16. Caddyshack/Chevy Chase, Ted Knight, Bill Murray.
17. Of Course, Blazing Saddles/ Cleavon Little.

I know, I know, that's a lot more than five, but I couldn't keep the list at five. You can also include the Bourne, Ocean's, Rush Hour, and Die Hard sequels. Additionally, you could include the Mission Impossible series, Bilouxi Blues, Stripes, The Fugative, U.S. Marshalls, Air Force One, Predator, Rocky 1, 2, and 3, Silence of the Lambs, A Few Good Men, The Waterboy (and a few other Adam Sandler movies), the Delta Force Series, the Missing in Action Series, the Jaws Series, the Anaconda series, and the Tremors Series. I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. I do have one more list. My top five that most other people think are bad movies.
1. Johnson Family Vacation/Cedric the Entertainer "Mama said 'Crack crack'"
2. The Car/James Brolin.
3. Death Race 2000/David Carradine.
4. Malibu's Most Wanted/Jamie Kennedy.
5. White Chicks/Wayans Brothers.
I will probably kick myself when I realize how many movies I missed, but this is what I'm going with. Signed, Probably not your dad, but possibly Eric Estrada or Tony DeFranco, but definitely not definitely not Brooke Hogan.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, since I am such a movie lover I couldn't list all the movies I love but here is just a sample in random order:

1. Napolean Dynamite- this movie is so hilarious. Everyone from Napolean to Uncle Rico to Pedro is so funny.

2. Hairspray- I am loyal to the original. I love the "fat girl gets the guy" theme.

3. Coal Miner's Daughter- Life story of country singer Loretta Lynn. I saw this when it first came out in 1980 (81?). I have since seen it so many times I can quote the movie. In fact, whenever my husband explains something to me because he thinks I don't understand I respond with a "I ain't a ignorant hillbilly, Doo!"

4. Carrie- great horror movie. I love Sissy Spacek and a young John Travolta.

5. The Fugitive-Can't go wrong with Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford. I am not really into action movies but I do like this one. I also like Sela Ward.

6. Witness- I love this film. An amish boy is put under witness protection by detective played by Harrison Ford.

7. Selena- I love the true story of how this mexican-american girl from Texas and humble beginnings become a success with the help of her father. Its just tragic she was killed. It is the only Jennifer Lopez movie worth watching.

8. Splendour In The Grass- Teenagers fall in love during the depression. My favorite Natalie Wood film.

9. Mildred Pierce- Joan Crawford won an Oscar for her role in this movie. It is about a single mother who struggles to raise her two daughters until she starts up her own restaraunt business. Over time it becomes successful and she is able to provide nicely for her daughters. Her oldest daughter is a brat and ends up killing someone in the end.

10. Brassed Off- Little known british movie. It is about a coal mine (british call them colliery) in a small northern english town that is about to be closed down. The miners struggle financially but their spirits are kept up by a brass band they have outside of work.

11. Veronica Guerin- great film and true story about an Irish journalist who uncovers some truths about the drug cartels in Dublin, Ireland. She is about to expose them and they kill her. This happened in 1996 and Cate Blanchett plays Veronica Guerin.

12. The Magdaelene Sisters- True story about the Magdalene Laundries that were run by the Catholic Church in Ireland for decades up until the mid nineties. The Laundries housed "wayward" girls and were meant to put the girls on the right path through spiritual guidance, religious teaching, and hard work in the laundries. Abuse was discovered and some of the girls escaped.

13. Pride & Prejudice-(the Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen version). This Jane Austen adaptation is about five sisters in england during the 1800's who seek love and marriage.

14. Muriel's Wedding- I love Toni Collette. This is the first film I ever saw her in. A not so attractive and unambitious girl wants to change her life and she thinks the only way is by getting married. Funny movie and it features music by Abba.

15. The Last King of Scotland- based on the story of dictator Idi Amin. It stars two of my favorite actors Forest Whitaker and James McEvoy.

16. The Killing Fields-true story about a relationship between an american journalist and a cambodian man during the regime of Pol Pot. Sad, sad, movie. Tearjerker.

17. Panic Room- I love suspense and I love Jodie Foster.

18. Circle Of Friends-Irish writer Maeve Binchy' book made into movie. I loved the book and I loved the movie. Another "fat girl gets guy" movie.

19. The Mother-british film about an elderly grandmother who becomes widowed but her adult ingrate children are selfish and only think about themselves. She ultimately seeks comfort with a much younger man (Daniel Craig). Graphic sex scene warning!

20. Out Of The Blue-true story about a sniper in a small New Zealand town. The town just doesn't have the man power and only a handful of police to stop this guy. Happened in 1990.

21. Silence of the Lambs-Jodie Foster is great in anything she does but her role as a FBI agent in training on the hunt for a serial killer just blows me away. Anthony Hopkins is awesome in this "I ate him with some fava beans and a nice chianti". Suspenseful, great story, two thumbs up!

22. Little Miss Sunshine-another Toni Collette film but actually it had an ensemble cast. Steve Carell was funny and so was the actor who played the grandfather. Dysfunctional family tries to go cross country in a VW van to reach a beauty pageant for their daughter. Everytime I hear Rick James' Superfreak I think of the scene where the whole family got on stage. Hilarious!!

23. The Bad Seed-1956 version. Awesome movie about a little girl who is well, a bad seed.

24. Open Water-because I love suspense and true stories. Two divers get left out in open water because their dive boat accidentally leaves them behind. They both die in the end.

24. In the Name of the Father-true story of a group of irish teenagers who get falsely accused by english police of bombings in england. They spend decades in prison before being released because a lawyer fought to expose the truth. Daniel Day Lewis never does a bad movie. I also loved him in My Left Foot and the Last of the Mohicans.

25. Flashdance- cheesy but I like it. Welder by day, dancer at night, great eighties film starring Jennifer Beals.

26.The Commitments-great film about some working class teenagers from Dublin who start a band featuring soul music.

27. The Elephant Man- true story of an englishman who was disformed and mistreated by society in the early 1900's.

28. Paper Moon-Tatum O'Neil and her dad Ryan O'Neil play con artists during the 1920's. Cute film.

29. Bad News Bears- cute film about a bunch of misfit kids who play softball. Walter Mathau, Tatum O'Neil, and Vic Morro star.

30. Imitation of Life- 1959 movie starring Lana Turner as a white actress/model who employs a black maid. The black maid's daughter tries to pass as white to be better accepted by society.

31.Bugsy Malone- I saw this movie when I was seven. A cute film about gangsters but played by children. Jodie Foster and Scott Baio star.

32. Mask-true story about single mother who raises her disfigured son Rocky Dennis.

33. Stand and Deliver-true story about a group of hispanic Garfield high school students from East Los Angeles that pass a AP calculus test but get accused of cheating.

34. Cat People- weird movie starring Natasha Kinski as a cat person but has great David Bowie music.

35. Lady Chatterley's Lover- based on the book by D.H. Lawrence. There are three movie versions based on this book. The best is the one starring Nicholas Clay and Sylvia Krystal. Rich woman has an affair with the game keeper of her estate when her husband comes back from the war paralyzed and in a wheelchair. Warning: Nudity

36. Jaws-great film about a hunt for a shark off of a new england coast shore.

37. The Emerald Forest-American couple lose their son in the jungles of the amazon. He grows up raised by one of the tribes who live in the amazon. Powers Booth is a great actor.

38. Ray-life story of Ray Charles. Great film. Great music.

39. LaBamba-true story of Richie Valens. "Richie, not my Richie"

40. Blow- my favorite drug movie even more so than Scarface.

41. Scarface-Cuban immigrants start drug cartel in Miami. Everyone I know quotes this movie. Best Michelle Pfeiffer role.

42. Mermaids- Single mom Cher raises her two daughters played by Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci during the 1950's. Cute film.

43. Rocky Horror Picture Show- People actually reenact scenes from the movie while the movie is being played.

44. Working Girl-Jersey girl works her way up the corporate ladder. "What's wrong with the way I talk?"

45. The Deer Hunter-Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep, excellent movie!

46. The Godfather 1,2, & 3- of course this saga about an italian-american mafia family is just classic!

47. Rocky- I love the scene after Rocky wins the fight he is yelling, "Adrianne!!!"

48. Girl Interrupted- College age girl sent to mental institution in the 1960's. "Where is my colace?"

49. Ice Castles-cheesy film about a young teenage girl who ice skates and then becomes blind and competes. I love Robby Benson, great actor!

50. View To The Top- Nevada girl gets trained to become flight attendant. Funny comedy!

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive list, once again Lola. As I suspected, about 10 minutes after I sent in my previous comment, I thought of a few more. Terminator 1 and 2 (Schwartzeneger) are classics. Don't bother with number 3. Also, the Godfather trillogy, Heartbreak Ridge, Dirty Dancing, and the Untouchables were an obvious ommission. I also have a couple more to add to my underappreciated list, Dragnet (Dan Ackroyd and Tom Hanks) and Major Payne (Damon Wayons). Possibly the biggest oversight was leaving off The Grapes of Wrath. I watched this very long, but very good movie one night with the Heisingers. The movie was full of poignant moments. Signed, not your dad, but possibly Rick Astley or Taco, but definitely not Andy Dick

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i say:
1. tristian and isolde
2. rent
but i did like all of the ones on your top 5/6 too...

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought of some more...The Princess Bride, Trading Places, 48 Hours, Beverly Hills Cop (1 and 2), Demolition Man, Iron Eagle, The Shinning, The Longest Yard, Smokey and the Bandit, Now and Then, Men in Black (1 and 2), Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, Alladin, and Shrek.

And to my under appreciated list : Best Defense (Eddie Murphy and Dudley Moore - probably top five), The Undercover Brother, Oscar (Sylvester Stallone), Convoy, Volcan, and Roadhouse. Signed, Not your dad.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! How could I forget Biloxi Blue (This is Africa hot, Tarzan couldn't handle this kind of hot) and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Queen of Stealth: I have Tristian and Isolde on dvd. It is part of my vast collection of british movies. Rufus Sewell and James Franco are great actors.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to add :
-Shawshank Redemption
-Forrest Gump
For coming-of-age movies (which I love!)
-Summer of '49
-Sandlot
-Stand By Me

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot to include Love Story, which I never get sick of watching. "Love means you never have to say you're sorry."

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I say Summer of '49? I meant the Summer of '42.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Boogs said...

SO MANY of the movies already listed are my faves too!.........like not your dad's #3-#6, library's #2, and Lola's #5, just to give a few. So I'm going to narrow it down to the movies I ABSOLUTELY have to sit down and watch if I happen to catch a glimpse of them on tv.
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Silence of the Lambs
3. Giant
I enjoy Grease too! Although I was rather young I still remember seeing it in the theatre. I got to see it twice. Although the second time I remember Uncle Bob yelling at the rowdy teenagers behind us in the theatre more than the actual movie.
Mike just happened to buy Stand By Me the other week. Hadn't seen it in ages. Very enjoyable! It was great to watch the extra footage of the actors reflection on the making of it. I recommend buying the DVD.
OMG......DeathRace 2000! Mike has it and the only thing that kept me watching it was the mere amazement of how young Carradine and Stallone were! A bit corny and underbudgeted action, but I guess its a cult classic.
Steph.........have you seen the orig. Gone in 60 Seconds? I loved seeing the footage of the South Bay in the 70's! Check it out in case you haven't! Yes..........Mike has every car movie!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home