Friday, August 19, 2011

You Always Fall Off the Wagon! Then You EAT the Wagon! (Get ready for a long and honest post people!)


Ahh King of Queens, you are my third favorite show to watch over and over, after Golden Girls and Psych, and I have to say (regrettably, I suppose) I sometimes line right up with Kevin James' character Doug in the weight loss department.

He spends the nine seasons mostly as a "big man" with times where he is able to stick to a diet and shed a few pounds. In Season 7, Episode 3 (which is apparently impossible to find on youtube, so just imagine with me, even though Carrie, Doug's wife played by Leah Remini, is much funnier) Doug is over eating all the time, which makes Carrie mad, and they realize they both have a problem. But before this can occur, Carrie says, "You always fall off the wagon! And then you eat the wagon!"

Now I wouldn't say I have fallen off the wagon per se, but I did try a new diet, which I found out I was terrible at following. Because I translated no carbs and sugar into starving myself, which led to me over eating later, and ruining the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, it's a great diet, you get fast and fabulous results, and it teaches really great habits like drinking more water and eating fruit before 2pm, and lessening your carb intake. But it just felt like I had used up the last of my will power reserve.

That inability to dig deep coincided with a certain monthly occurrence (bet you readers didn't imagine signing up for this! But this weight loss thing makes me really open, as if I wasn't already), so I took that and ran with it and decided to tell everyone I was going to eat whatever I wanted this week, Monday through Sunday, and renew my resolve Monday. Of course, I had no problem with the eating whatever I want part.

Then last night, I tried on a skirt that I had not fit since the 8th grade, but I kept it because it was from a store I loved and had many memories attached to it, and lo and behold, it fit! I was astonished! Despite having gained three pounds this week from my bender, I reminded myself that there were still other clothes in my closet that I wanted to fit, and that desire over rides my inclination to eat everything in sight.

The other thing I reminded myself is that I don't need to kill myself over the three pounds, because even with that I am still only three pounds heavier than the smallest I have been since high school, and that is still an accomplishment.

I guess the point  of this post is that renewing my resolve is important and necessary, and that it's so easy to do. For instance, another thing I like to do is read success stories on my fitness pal.

The other point is that I apologize for a) such a long post, and b) constantly blogging about weight loss when I could be talking about more important things like the Kardashians and cakes and the Food Network and Kenya (more on that later, I Promise), but those of you who know me well know that I process best when writing everything down.

Lastly, I cannot end this post without thanking those who help me on a daily basis... Like my parents, even if my dad openly judges me when I eat a lemon cookie. Or my dear friends who are all journeying with me on this path (and sometimes struggle) to improve our health. And the friends I text who think I am crazy when I sniff bread and even if I am they don't make me feel bad (they know who they are =).

I promised Abeni a full body shot next time but they are kind of hard to finangle on a Macbook so for now this will have to do until there is a photographer around. 

6 Comments:

Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

You're still doing a great job :) . As long as you keep getting back on the wagon, you'll be fine. Sure, you might fall again, but then you'll just wobble a little, and eventually you'll be completely steady :D

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Not Not Yo Dad said...

Stop drinking coke!

8:52 PM  
Anonymous queen of stealth said...

I am eating chocolate right now, so maybe it is that point in the summer when we need food of substance aka chocolate and bread.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous queen of stealth said...

I am eating chocolate right now, so maybe it is that point in the summer when we need food of substance aka chocolate and bread.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look absolutely terrific My Baby!!! Can't wait to see you when you come for a visit! :)

Love you tons,
Aunt Cissy

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Abeni loves it when shes mentioned said...

Lookin good! I can def see it without the full body shot!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home