Thursday, August 25, 2011

Do You Ever Just People Watch?


A couple of weeks ago, I was reading Real Simple magazine (one of my favorites) and there was a photo  a photographer had snapped of a crowd watching fireworks on the 4th of July. He said this event is a great time to people watch, since everyone is busy watching what is above them. Then it occurred to me that I don't people watch very often.

For one thing, this would require me to have free time. And when free time comes along, I usually like to use it for one of three things: watching really bad reality tv, perusing the internets (these days it's usually for recipes I want to try or catching (katching?) up on the Kardashians), or sleeping. To just sit and observe does not hold a lot of allure for me.

Don't get me wrong, I sit and zone out all the time (stand and zone out sometimes), but that involves me getting lost in my own head, not looking around at others.

I'm also a really nosy person (let's be real) so I can eaves drop from time to time, but that is about the extent of it.

But all this really got me thinking: Do you people watch? If so, where and why?

2 Comments:

Anonymous aunt lennie said...

I don't people watch but if I was ever in a situation with some down time, I would rather pull out a paperback book to read than watch people. I know the French are notorious for people watching; that's why they have all those outdoor patio cafes just so they can do that all day.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Not Not Yo Dad said...

Nothing like people watching at the local Walmart. Besides having a 100% chance at seeing someone with a mullet (male, female, baby), you are guaranteed to see at least a few people who shouldn't be making their own fashion decisions.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home