Monday, September 08, 2008

Because eventually you will need a substitute for my blog...

when I am a busy college student!

In short, I was recommended this wonderful book called a A Great and Terrible Beauty. I had picked it up a few times before and loved the first couple of pages but just never bought it. So I finally checked it out of the library. I was blown away by what a great story it was and how funny it was, because in the end humor always keeps me interested. This book has a lot of intrigue and mystery to it, but not so much in a way that makes it sci-fi or too fantastical. Think more of the Harry Potter genre (with less magic and more girls) than say Star Wars. I just really loved this book and cannot wait to read the other two books in the trilogy once I am finished reading my books for school/summer homework!

Also, as a tie in, the author has her very own blog, and I literally spent the better portion of a five hour period reading her backlog of blog posts because they are fabulously funny! Plus it was interesting to see her in the writing process of her trilogy, like a behind the scenes pass.

So, please go read her blog at http://libba-bray.livejournal.com/ and go buy her books. You will not be disappointed.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally unrelated but will you take time out to join any clubs or even a soriority at your new school?

4:16 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

SU doesn't have any sororities, and I don't think I would have joined one anyways... But I do plan to join Campus Ministry. There are probably a dozen other clubs I want to join, but at least the first quarter if not the first year I want to focus on just managing school, my work study job, and one club. Plus, I'm also a Costco scholar, so I attend a lot of those events. Although it'd be really cool to be an RA (Residence Advisor) next year so I can get my own room and free room and board and meet a lot of people and/or an OA, they help the incoming freshman get acclimated. And of course, study abroad!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would rather call it a "visiting" or "guest" blog because there is NOT or ever will be a substitute for Ally van Ingen's blog!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love e.eyre's ability to change the blog topic. Instead of reading the archives of the blog you suggest, I read your archives. This e.eyre is my favorite current continual contributor. Of your archived blog commentors, I like "Not Your Dad" almost as much as e.eyre.
Glad to hear that you're joining Campus Ministry. It will be a great compliment to your educational cirriculum.
Signed,
The New Guy

PS. I'm debaing as to how much longer I can call myself the new guy because as time goes on, I will no longer be new. On the other hand, products call themselves "New and Improved" for years, so maybe I can really drag this thing on.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I'll check it out, but no more buying books for me til I finish Never Too Much of a Good Thing! (School's also keeping me busy)
BTW, will you be using your web cam on your laptop while at school? I'll invest in one if you do! :)

9:38 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Yes I am planning on using my web cam! My mom already had my dad get one so she can chat with me too on it (even though she'll only be 30 minues away...? haha).

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home