Friday, October 21, 2011

College Girl Cooks: Episode One

Having moved into my own apartment, and having no meal plan, every time I eat is like an adventure. The first thing I officially made was dino chicken, but that's no fun to report on. A thirteen year old could make that. Below is everything I made that took more than five minutes preparation.

I had a frying pan but no lid so I used my griddle as a lid. Ghetto? More like College Girl Cooks.

The finished product. I was quite proud that I did not burn down my house, and managed to even get a crispy brown layer on the potstickers like the restaurants. Though I will see why my mom hardly ever fries things in oil, it makes a mess!

Pierogi! Polish dumplings filled with potato and cheese.


Apparently I get my measuring genes from my mama. I put about twice as much butter as I needed to cook the eggs in. Better safe than sorry I guess?

The final breakfast. I was trying to make them over medium but I broke the yolks and over cooked them. But as my mom pointed out, at least I won't get sick with salmonella. It's that looking on the bright side we both have.

Cucumber and feta. Delicious.

Final, drizzled with olive oil. Can I just say, I LOVE that knife? It's Komashi, sold at Target, and I swear to you cuts everything like it's buttah! And it's aesthetically pleasing.

A heart for the last dish to be washed because no joke, dish washing (by hand) is like my new least favorite chore. Mostly because it chips my nail polish and I am a priss. Obv.

A feta and egg sandwich. And if you think you also see cheddar on that sandwich, you do, because I am a fatty. Feta is seriously good with and on so many things. Literally.


Warming my tortilla for the chorizo straight up on the stove! Like a boss.

Chorizo!

Cupcakes from Pinkabella. I didn't make them, obv, they were just scrumptious. Lemon, White and Chocolate, Salted Caramel, French Toast, Peanut Butter and Chocolate, and Red Velvet!

Baked pierogi. Less messy, and I remembered to put more cheese on them. See again: fatty.

My fave knife makes another appearance, this time with a yellow peach.

The pit I found in my peach. It was so weird. I felt like a biologist.

FUNFETTI PANCAKES. Oh yes, that sounds as good as an idea as it is. That coke in the background is not an ingredient, I just popped it open to help me get through making pancakes for the first time. And I am finally using my new glass measuring bowl my co worker gave me (he also gave me the frying pan and the griddle. Nice)

Whisking it up. Action Shot like P Dub

Griddle Action. Again, tons of butter.

At was after these were finished that I texted Lisa the following: "You ever burn something you're making for dinner but it's all you have so you eat it anyways?" It was one of those nights. 

Lessons I have learned (so far) from cooking on my own:
1. My stove top heats up really fast, and so my pans do too. I need to start cooking on a lower temperature so my food doesn't burn so quickly.
2. Baking sheets with foil on top is always the best option because there is virtually no mess to clean.
3. I still have yet to conquer timing. Sometimes I am scrambling my eggs and my pan has already heated so I have to turn the heat off to keep prepping. It's things like juggling when to start what and stir this that would be really helpful to learn.

Any tips you would like to send my way? Or kitchen appliances you can't live without that I should know about?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Dad said...

Outstanding blog. Everything looked very good. You can cook for me when you come home.

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Aunt lennie said...

Uncle Scott would love for you to make him the pot stickers and Pierogis. Those are his favorites!

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Uncle Pete said...

I am ready, let's eat

1:47 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

I love putting feta cheese in a wrap with chicken, romaine lettuce, tomato, and caesar dressing or ranch dressing.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Yum! You made me hungry. :) I liked your Pierozi!I think Uncle Mike would too! A couple of items I recommend are non-stick baking liners and kitchen gloves. The baking liners are reusable/washable and great for not tearing like foil, not to mention protecting your pan. Mom got me started on wearing gloves when dish washing. She says she wish she had started using them decades ago. Helps your hands from looking rough and aged, not to mention protecting your manicure! I also have a nylon salad knife that looks similar to your Komashi knife. I love that it dosen't turn my salad brown like regular metal knives and prevents wilting. Happy cooking! :)

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMMmmmm! Your food looks yummy!! Feta cheese and cucumber ? Just add tomato slices and olives and you have a typical Turkish breakfast!
One tip I learned: start to heat your pan but don't put the oil/butter in until 2 minutes before you're ready to add your food in. Works great! No burning oil and heats food perfectly!

Happy cooking!
Aunt Cissy

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home