Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Highlight of my Highlight of my Day

Christmas Eve 2010

My supervisor was hovering. People at the Big C don't hover, there is too much work to be done, especially for my supervisor, who supervises the Front Door (where I work) and the Front End. In my past experience, pausing to actually talk to someone either means something really good or really bad. He had previously walked by with a bunch of yellow carbon copies, and had handed one to me, but it was just the approval of my time off. This time, he handed me a small card holder from under a stack of papers and schedules, and said, "Merry Christmas Ally".

I squealed "Thank you" in my "I am genuinely excited and also thrilled that this is a Starbucks card how did you know it was my favorite" voice, and then stared at it ponderously. There was quite a bit of writing on the inside flap. Being the negative person I am, I wondered if this was his delicate way of telling me I was fired. No joke, but I pretty much operate in all my jobs like I'm about five seconds from getting fired, for some reason, even when I've done nothing wrong. Plus, at least if I were fired I'd have a Venti Passion Tea Lemonade (Light Ice, Extra Lemonade) to console myself.

But in actuality, the card read:
"Ally, 
You are a pleasure to work with, always smiling and formally addressing me. Thank you... Mr. Alton"

The truth of the matter is, the best part of that sentiment is the formally addressing me part. If there is one thing (not really one) my dad taught me, it is to call my elders and superiors by their last name. And even though Mike Alton is 26 years old (only five more than me), I'm doin' it proper since '89.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the rebellious child I was I took this rule of using Mr and Mrs and flipped it. My third grades teachers was named Peggy Johnson and while everyone called her Mrs. Johnson I called her Mrs. Peggy.
And I did that until high school. I'm surprised you call him Mr. Alton...

10:26 AM  
Anonymous aunt lennie said...

Your dad taught you well!! :)

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Not Not Your Dad said...

As I've said before, I think very highly of your dad.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Excellent! I've seen in past work experience on more than one occassion where young supervisors had a hard time with their older counterparts all because of their age. It's nice to know you address him due to his title and not his age. Well done Boo.......not to mention your setting an example for others.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

I had chick-fil-a today.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home