Friday, December 10, 2010

Ally's Favorite Things

The other day my bff Oprah had her last, epic Oprah's Favorite Things. I really wished I could have been there, but then I got to thinking, what would be on my list?


           Today, I began day two of adventurous cooking for myself, considering I am at home for the break (all 22 days) and there's no more C-street to cook for me. Yesterday I made prosciutto and brie bundles with the crescent rolls I got from Costco (96 total, to be exact. They were on coupon. But don't worry, I only make eight at a time). Today, I really wanted to get Thai, but I'm also really trying to save money, so I decided to make frozen chicken satays that I picked up from Costco. I was even so bold to concoct my own peanut sauce from two combined online recipes and whatever I could scrounge together in the house -peanut butter, water, confectioner's sugar, garlic powder, tabasco, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Except we didn't have a lemon, so I referred to my Real Simple magazine. Very loooong story short, we did not have the lemon juice I needed, so I substituted vinegar (less). The only reason I knew I could do that was because there was a chart in Real Simple that had a chart of substitutions.


        I found by looking at the website that a year's subscription is about $119. But I figured as long as I get 2 DVDs in the mail per week it's about equivalent to redbox. Plus, now that they have instant online streaming, specifically Psych, it is BEYOND paying for itself many times over. I watch Psych all day every day, at least until I end up catching up to the current season, plus there are instant movies and other TV shows.


  • Costco Sweet Rolls
             I make prosciutto sandwiches with these babies all the time.          
             As I discussed earlier, I am home from break. I looked sadly around and realized with the end of the quarter, when I no longer had to read for class, that I have nothing to read for fun. That's when I remembered that I had wanted to reread Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and since part one of the two part movie just came out, it's an appropriate time to be reading this book.

  • Trip to Amsterdam

  • Salted Chocolate Almonds from Trader Joe's
           This past 4th of July I went to Maddy's friend's house on Lake Union and noshed on the best hot dogs and Chinese Chicken Salad. Then, at the end, we took home treat bags, and one of the foods was salted chocolate almonds. I am not ashamed to say I ate about half a box of them in that one night.
            This is my type of phone, and it has stuck by me for so much. It has even survived being dunked in running water. And it survived my fury when a software update erased all my notes. I still love it.
Once upon a time I used to get a new Jansport backpack for the school year. Then I got my red Borealis Northface backpack freshman year of college, and have never looked back since. It's durable, so durable, and expands if needed. I use it for class, and traveling as well. It carries my computer very well and adjusts to different body types.
What goes on your Favorites list?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Not Not Your Dad said...

This blog was very confusing. The descriptions didn't match the list, somehow.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Sharpie's and Burt's Bees chapstick are also on my list! Add to that Post-it's, Boot's No.7 Protect & Perfect eye and hand cream, Dr. Scholl's foot cream, coffee, and most of all, my baby.......my Dell computer.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

Mine would be a trip to any of the following: Ireland, Argentina, Belize, Spain, Ibiza, Italy, Japan, and the Netherlands.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home