Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Little Advising

The other week, I went to have my quarterly advising meeting with my English advisor. The purpose of these is supposed to be for her to help me pick my classes, but being the Type A minded person that I am, I usually walk in and say "These are the classes I'm taking" and then I make sure she double checks that it will go towards the right requirement within my major, and then I go on with my life.

This time I came in with an even more specific task. I had figured out (while advising myself) that I had enough room in my time at SU to get my two degrees, a minor, and still graduate a quarter early. This intrigued me because I'm not the type to take a bunch of random classes, I want them to count for something.

I realized I already have 10 credits that count for a History minor (out of 30).
My favorite teacher, who is also the head of the Latin American Studies department, said I should get a Latin American Studies minor, and as it turns out I already have 10 credits (out of 30) counting towards that as well.
My advisor's suggestion was Film Studies, as that Major/Minor is new and falls under the English department.
I've also gotten other suggestions.
I may have enough credits to cross-count and get both History and Latin American studies minors.

We'll see.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Not Not Your Dad said...

Very impressive forethought. I'm sure that you will decide on the best course of action.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous aunt lennie said...

I love History! I wish I could go back and change my major. Or at least get a minor like you have the opportunity to do.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

Off topic but:
Sears @ Del Amo brought in Dermologica and Kiehls.

I am excited my favorite childhood author has a movie thats out. I loved Beverly Cleary's Romona Quimbley series of books as a child.

I am addicted to french movies(with english subtitles of course).

Why did Tony Parker have to go and do that to Eva Longoria?

6:08 PM  
Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

Do it!!

My advisor told me to double major in Communication and English, and the dummy that I am, I said no! Stupid, stupid, stsupid!

Go for it :)

6:23 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I love history as well and am thinking of making that my major for my BA. Just a word of thought.....think about maybe taking a business course. It would be beneficial.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home