Friday, May 15, 2009

I'm Done With This

Party Purple Guitar String Bracelet, Wearyourmusic.org, $9.99

I'm done with witty song lyric titles that is. I got the idea from another blogger (noappropriatebehavior.blogspot.com, gotta give her credit!), but the difference between her and I is that she like knows every song lyric in the free world and I am more of a novice and thus had to struggle to come up with one like every blog posting. Actually, if you know me at all, it'd be easier and more akin to my nature if I did quotes for titles all the time, but that too would probably take a lot of work. So for now you'll all just have to deal with mediocre titles.

Anyways, since we're already talking about music, you can get these really cool bracelets above... They are bracelets made out of guitar strings, in pretty much any color. I also like the pink, gold, black, and silver versions. These are the cheaper versions, but if you want to shell out a couple hundred dollars you can get guitar strings from some famous celebrities like Avril Lavigne, John Mayer, Eric Clapton, etc. If you are not poor like me.

Speaking of poor, a state I will soon no longer be in, which you might very well already know if you are in with shouting distance of my mom's phone frequency. For those of you who don't talk to my mom on a regular basis (i.e. those who are not her sisters or mother), you may or may not know that I am now (finally) employed from now until approximately June 2010, at the earliest. For you see, I interviewed with Costco and got an internship with them for this summer, from mid June to the end of August. Let's see if I can answer all the questions I imagine you all might have to save us all some trouble:

It is at Costco headquarters, i.e. an air conditioned office building. Not the warehouse. No I will not be pushing carts all summer. I will be filing reports, mostly, from what I can tell.
Yes, it is a paid internship (if any of you know me at all I bet you can't imagine me working for free. However, internships have this stigma that they are unpaid, but as a matter of fact most of them are paid internships nowadays. All the good ones anyway) and no I do not know how much per hour as of yet, but I do know it is over minimum wage.
It is in Issaquah, that is a 27 minute drive from my house. But the experience is worth it.
I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, no weekends. Yes I will be exhausted and yes I will be going to bed around 9 as I will have to get up around 5 so I can be there by 7 or 7:30.
I will be working in the sporting goods department, and no thankfully I do not need a working knowledge of sporting goods to work there. It is a department full of 9 men though. (My interviewer said it is a very simple operation because of this. I am relieved.)
No, I do not know, nor think I will be getting a discount at Costco. BUT the first thing my mom said once I got the job was, "Can you get me a complimentary Costco canvas bag with some free muffins? I saw a kid carrying one when we dropped you off for your interview". Typical.

Not to be upstaged, the next day I got an email stating I was accepted to be a desk assistant for the next school year, hopefully in my residence hall. So, with any luck, now that I am on this winning streak, I will not be unemployed for a while.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Not Your Dad said...

Employed! Tears of joy are flowing from my eyes...Make sure that you save your money for school.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Oh dad, always the dramatic one. Don't worry I already devised a financial plan that I am going to show you. Don't you fret.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Aunt Nennie said...

Way to go Ally! The internship sounds like a great way to get your foot in the door and I'm glad you'll be gaining some business experience from a major company. (This is going to look great on your resume) I'm looking forward to hearing all about your new job so keep us updated through your blog!
Good luck!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

CONGRATULATIONS BOO! What a great place to start! I'm so glad the internship hunting worked out for you. Way to go! Let us know how it goes. I'm sure this must come as a relief now that your facing your sophmore year. Good luck! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay there.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

Your CV is going to look pretty darn good. I am so glad you haven't had to go the retail, mall, or fast food route. Can you be switched to the beauty department? or even books? Do you get a free membership? Do you have to dress business casual?

10:20 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

I will admit, e. eyre, that I am not really sure what a CV is.I regrettably cannot be switched to make-up or books, but I will be working right next to jewelry on one side and tvs/computers/cameras on the other side. I unfortch do not get a free membership, but I am considering getting my own membership seperate from my parents since I'll be working there. I imagine I do have to dress business casual, and the people I met during my interview were wearing slacks and a button up shirt (guys) or pants and a nice blouse (girls). So you and I both know it will be an excellent opportunity for me to go shopping for a work wardrobe (i.e. Pants that are not jeans and the like).

12:16 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

CV is just an abbreviation for the latin term curriculum vitae. Its just another word for resume.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home