Thursday, July 22, 2010

Top 6 Driving Songs Of The Moment! (And a Bonus Round)

In no particular order...

1. Ridin' Solo - Jason DeRulo
This song is that one song that has me singing at the top of my lungs, not caring if any body sees me. First of all I love Jason DeRulo, second of all as much as I love him, I cannot help almost make fun of the way he says solo, it's so drawn out it's like SOOLOAAOOO. It's very hard to explain via blog unless you have heard the song. Trust me, I just love it.

2. Every Day - Buddy Holly
I had happened on this random music website via another favorite website of mine Sh*t My Dad Says (check it out, muy funny), and Justin Halpert (the author of above website and similarly named book) had made a playlist of his dad's favorite songs, and that was one of them. Justin also mentioned something like whenever this song comes on his 70 year old father always reminds him that Buddy Holly had done some inappropriate things with his cousin (not sure if that is true). It does however, remind me of my own father, how he quizzes me on songs and who sings them then shares his own memory/story that goes with the song. ANYWAYS, I like this song and like listening to it because it is easy and breezy (not unlike a cover girl) and is very appropriate for summer. And aside from all the weird anecdotal stuff I just told you, this song also reminds me of my maternal grandfather, so it's a win win.

3. Summertime - The Jamies
I had a hard time finding this song so I could download it, but I'm glad I did. It's that song that goes "Summertime summertime sum sum summertime summmertime summertime sum sum summertime summertiiiiiime" etc. This is also a hard song to explain unless you've heard it before, but I love it. The lyrics are kind of heard to decipher but I know the first line is like "close those books and throw em away..." and then the song just takes off!

4. This Is How We Do It - Straight No Chaser
This is a remake by an accapella band I discovered one night on a PBS special. I have underestimated the power of just voices and no instruments in a song until I heard this group. Eight attractive and melodic men singing some of my favorite songs (Africa by Toto, 12 Days of Christmas, My Girl, etc.). This is my all time favorite. I once listened to it on repeat for 30 minutes on my way to work. It too is very appropriate for the summer.

5. Opposite of Adults - Chiddy Bang
I found this little gem the way I find most of my music, on Kiss FM. It's very fun and fits perfectly on my Pump Pump Pump It Up Playlist.

6. The Choice is Yours -  Black Sheep
Mmm so you know that commercial for the Kia Soul? The one with the cute hamsters or gerbils or whatever and the "you can get with this or you can get with that?" song? Well, silly me, I thought that was a Kia original. And a darn cute commercial. Then one day I'm listening to Kube's (the local rap station) old school lunch hour, and they play a full length version of the Kia Soul song! Come to find out it's a rap song called The Choice is Yours and it's delightfully catchy.

Bonus Round
A Little Bit Wicked - Kristen Chenowith
When I am not listening to the above songs on my ipod, I love listening to books on CD, which I download onto my ipod. I have to be in the mood to listen to an audio book, but once I start one, I listen obsessively to it (in the car, at home, before work, etc.) until I finish it. I recently finished Big Boned by Meg Cabot and loved it. I started Sherman Alexie's book, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian then gave it up and decided it would be better read in book form (some books are so like that!), and now I am on A Little Bit Wicked by Kristen Chenowith (she played Galinda the Good Witch in Wicked as well as other roles in Pushing Daisies and Glee to name a few). I actually had picked the book form up a year ago or so, then discarded it because it got to be a little too slow. But having tried her audiobook, I absolutely love it (I may or may not have almost cried four times hearing about her miracle adoption and death of her grandfather). The best part about this book is that Kristen herself reads it, and being the spectacular actress she is with a wonderful voice inflection (not monotone, which was my problem I think with Sherman Alexie reading his, he's a fantastic writer but hard to listen to when reading), it's hard not to like what you hear. She is the first author I have heard reading her own book who giggles at parts, or sings other parts, or sounds super sarcastic at other parts. That true to life reading makes it all the more worthwhile.

13 Comments:

Anonymous queen of stealth said...

who's justin derulo? isnt it jason?

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Um I am not going to lie, thanks to Tara I love that Solo song. In fact, I haven't gotten the chance to properly thank her for contaminating everything. Yet it's much better than the "in my head (bed)" one you and Courtney played on repeat. Buddy Holly is the best choice, and he definately did NOT do anything sketchy with his cousin whereas Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 yr old cousin. Just sayin.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Thanks for the correction. I changed it. I think I was trying to combine my two loves, Justin Bieber and Jason DeRulo. Oops.

Sorry to mention the Biebs, Lisa. But I'm SO glad that you love "that Solo song". We can play that one on repeat instead of In My Head (Bed), if you wish. Thanks for even more movie trivia. Not Your Dad would be proud.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous the ecological one said...

right now my fav is Fire by Bruce Springsteen redone by Kristin Chenoweth.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Oops I meant music trivia in that last comment.

I forgot about that song Courtney! I love that song too, even though I don't usually drive to it.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I love your list of summer songs. Great variety. Katy Perry's California Gurls seems to be picked as this year's summer hit. I'd say there have been better. My all time favorite summer song is The B-52's Roam if You Want to (Roam around the World). Brings me back to my junior yr.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Not Not Your Dad said...

Here are a few that you should test drive:

1. I can't drive 55. Sammy Hagar
2. Lowrider. War
3. Don't Stop Me Now. Queen
4. Pride and Joy. Stevie Ray Vaughan
5. God Gave Rock and Roll to you II. Kiss
6. Just a Gigolo. David Lee Roth
7. King or the Road. Roger Miller

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Not Not Your Dad said...

Oops! The last one is "King of the Road" by Roger Miller. Sorry about that. Since I made that unacceptable mistake, I'll type all the lyrics to the song here for your enjoyment.
"Trailers for sale or rent
Rooms to let...fifty cents.
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes
Ah, but..two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

Third boxcar, midnight train
Destination...Bangor, Maine.
Old worn out suits and shoes,
I don't pay no union dues,
I smoke old stogies I have found
Short, but not too big around
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

I know every engineer on every train
All of their children, and all of their names
And every handout in every town
And every lock that ain't locked
When no one's around.

I sing,
Trailers for sale or rent
Rooms to let, fifty cents
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes
Ah, but, two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road."

I identify greatly with this song as I am a "man of means by no means".

7:13 AM  
Blogger The Big Man said...

I see that the blogmaster has referenced me in one of her comments. I will have to make this one time return to this blog to agree with the blogmaster. I am impressed by Lisa's knowledge of music trivia. For bonus points, do you know which famous televangelist was Jerry Lee Lewis' cousin?

7:16 AM  
Blogger Tara B. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Tara B. said...

Ridin' Solo is totally my theme song right now! Love it, and Jason Derulo! I belt it everytime it comes on the radio :)

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

@Not Your Dad
Jerry Lee Lewis' cousin was the television evangelist Jimmy Swaggart. Jerry was also married six times according to my History of Rock and Roll teacher in high school (the source of most of my trivia knowledge).

10:24 AM  
Blogger The Big Man said...

Good job, Lisa!

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home