Sunday, June 20, 2010

Responsibility doesn't end at conception, it takes courage to raise a child

Never have I ever had to question what it was like to live without a father. And I can thank my dad for that, not that there was ever a question that he wouldn't stay. Did I think it sucked to write that spelling word I got wrong five times more until I got it right? Of course. But I don't think my life would be the same without my devoted, caring, sympathetic, enthusiastic, funny, witty daddy.

He was the one I could call for at night when I had nightmares to assure me the monsters were gone. And he was the one I could ask for math help from. He was the one who helped me question teachers when I knew I was right and how to respect adults because they are older and wiser. He attempted to teach me how to ride a bike and sat in the passenger's seat white knuckling the dash board while I haphazardly drove around parking lots learning to drive. He taught me the value of a dollar and hard work, and was there to see me earn first paychecks and lease my own car. He stood by me when a date didn't show up and hugged me when the bullies surrounded me. He saw me off to two years of college and welcomed me home for two summers. He helped me foster my writing and encouraged my humor.
I love you dad. I love you for all that you have given me, and all that you have sacrificed for me. Every day is your day to shine in the parenting department, God Bless you.

6 Comments:

Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

Wow, my brother was capable of doing all that?? :O

Just kidding! That was very sweet. I could never bring myself to say such mushy things, although I'd be saying them in my mind.

:)

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Your Dad said...

Thank you for the kind words. I'm always proud of you. Love, Pop

9:49 PM  
Anonymous aunt lennie said...

That was very nice and heartfelt Ally!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Maddy said...

I love Not Your Dad!!!!!! The first photo is perfect!!!!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I think I'm gonna cry!
Hope you had a wonderful Father's Day Steph! You make me very proud!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Auntie Lynette said...

Ally-
You couldn't of said it any better. I totally agree, your Dad is the best Dad ever. Uncle Paul and I have always thought highly of Stephen and know he's a GREAT father.

Love Auntie Lynette

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home