Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Undercover Boss

I have cried two times in the last week, and I know what you're thinking, but I wasn't even on that emotional time of the month (sorry uncles, father, and people in general that didn't want to know that). And every time I cried, it was at something on TV. The first time was while I was watching Newlyweds, and Jessica Simpson told me at the end of her concert to reach for all our dreams. And I don't know why that made me tear up, but it did, but then again that was a very good time for me (more on that in the next blog).

The other time that I cried was watching this new show called Undercover Boss. I happened upon it by accident, it just happened to be on after Amazing Race which I watch every Sunday. It's where the CEO of a company goes undercover, working the "pion" jobs. This CEO was from the company gsi Commerce, which I had never heard of, but they receive orders from other big companies like Amazon and ship them to the customers.

Michael the CEO had to do jobs like loading a truck, making boxes to put the items in, picking items to be shipped, and fielding calls from customers with problems.

Perhaps the most touching story to me was the man who trained him on the phones in the "escalations" department, customers who were super angry over their order. The man was the nicest and calmest man I had ever seen, and therefore perfect for the job.

Later, it came out that the man was with gsi because he had been let go from his previous job. The previous year he had lost his daughter at birth (her heart just stopped) and was not able to make into work on that Black Friday, and so they let him go. But now that he was at gsi, he and his fiancee had put their wedding plans on hold to save money to buy the plots next to their daughter.

I'm not even a parent ya'll, but that really touched my heart. It must've touched Michael too, who has a three and a half year old daughter, because after he revealed he was the CEO of the company at the end of the show, he gave the young man $10,000 to go towards his wedding.

I just turned around to what my mom was watching on TV (Wendy Williams, I have no clue why), and Joss Stone just said, "You're helping to fight the good fight".

Let's fight the good fight people, and help where we can. I will be the first person to admit I don't have $10,000 to throw around, but you'll what's right when the moment comes.

6 Comments:

Anonymous aunt lennie said...

Undercover Boss is one of Uncle Scott's favorite shows and we happened to watch that same episode. I agree with you, it was truly sad that his former employer let him go because he had to take a day off from work when his baby died. I hope his former employer watched this so they can hang their head in shame!!!

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Uncle Scott said...

While watching the skeptical side in me wonders how the employees don't know it's their boss "undercover." How many times have you seen an employee spill their guts about their personal life to a stranger/new employee that they just met? I'm just sayin'! But I agree with your Aunt Lennie that the former employer should be outed for such a cold/knee jerk reaction.

4:07 PM  
Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

I always cry at the series finale of Friends...when Rachel shows up at Ross's apartment and says, "I got off the plane!" *sniff* :') Happy tears!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

I only caught one episode, the one where the CEO of White Castle went undercover.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Me said...

that was so sweet about the CEO, so touching i had to comment.

8:14 PM  
Blogger The Big Man said...

You'd be surprised at how much you can give. God will provide.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home