Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Keep Calm and Carry On

The other day I was at Urban Outfitters and I picked up a baby book entitled, Keep Calm and Carry On, with the cover looking much like the above picture. I was intrigued by the graphics, and even more so when I opened the book and realized that it was filled with inspirational quotes. I, in case you didn't know, am a quote junkie.
Being the pragmatic person that I am, I did not want to buy this petite book for $8.99, so I looked for it on ebay today. I found it, and I read the little description, and was endeared to the little book even more. Apparently the phrase was printed on a poster and was supposed to have been posted in Britain in 1939 if the Germans invaded Britain during WWII. Apparently the poster never saw the light of day then, but was unearthed 9 years ago and is now on all these motivational posters. I think these are some really strong words to live by.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Big Man said...

Very nice Blog! I like topics like this much better than the "mascara", "cute top", "door stop", and other shopping blogs. Keep up the good work.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous aunt lennie said...

Very interesting! Thanks for giving us the historical background of this quote and I agree, these are words to live by and should be repeated as often as needed throughout the day.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous the ecological one said...

I like little historical facts. I must agree with your father. but then again I've been using the same brand mascara...if not the same tube, since I started wearing makeup; not on a daily basis though.

And that for some reason seems like I quote I would tell you when you are freaking out over something that may or may not happen but you're already planning for the worst. Yeah. but in my time of need, you make this blog post and of course I see it as a sign from spirits that I need to "keep calm and carry on"

thanks

3:24 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

I appreciate the mascara blogs. It truly can be an arduous process when you have so many choices to consider.
Lengthening, volume,no clump,
Waterproof or not, black, brown, clear, or even magenta, staight brush,curved brush, and now one that even pulsates,
made for sensitive eyes, washable, dual mascara with primer, cheap I'm broke as a joke mascara or I got a sephora gift card mascara, the old ladies grandma mary kay macara, the I got this as part of a free gift mascara, the I wore this brand since high school mascara, the walgreens bogo mascara, and the ubiqitous cvs better take this crap back mascara.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Mr. van Ingen said...

Let the record show that e.eyre (aka aunt lola) is my favorite commentator, by far. Also, I don't know why I keep getting confused with this "Not Your Dad" fellow. He makes some good points, but he goes out of his way to emphasize that he's not the Blog Master's father. I am flattered to be confused with him.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home