Friday, July 03, 2009

Being a grown-up means to me...

  • Getting up to a 5 AM alarm and trying not to punch yourself in the face, because no one in their right mind should be up at that hour.
  • Keeping a notebook for work, and writing checklists and notes in it. (Mine is a pink Moleskine! =)
  • Not wearing jeans every day (only on Fridays!) And trying not to flash too much cleavage.
  • Being in a cubicle. I read some of Bunnyshop's blogs about cubicle life (annoying basketball man and the man who eats stinky fish every day for lunch) and I can relate. Except for me it's loud music man, loud laughing/talking lady, and stinky fridge around the corner.
  • Your own phone extension. Your own email. Your own badge.
  • 30 to 60 minute lunch breaks.
  • Meetings. Lots of them. Sometimes they're convenient (time filler). Sometimes not (when you could be sending out those twelve emails to vendors because if you don't they'll show up at the wrong house at the wrong time and it's your fault that there's no kayaks to test. Or at least that's what I was thinking would happen, but thank God it didn't).
  • For Buyers, budgets! We have budget meetings every Monday.
  • Time sheets. Or time cards.
  • Wanting to take your work home?! On some of my busier days I feel this way, but I thought I was the only one. Then my boss told me that he felt like he had so much to do that he went in on Father's Day to finish some stuff.
  • Whenever I'm home, I'm so exhausted from waking up early and working approximately 52 hours a week that all I wanna do is veg and go to bed early.
  • Case in point, I've gone to sleep some days at 9 PM, and the sun is still up!!
  • My 27 minute commute. I no longer mind talk radio in the morning any more.
  • Gaining enough trust to perform more tasks. Ya know that movie the Devil Wears Prada? And Emily Blunt is all "Until Miranda(r) decides you're not a complete psycho, I'll get the lovely task of waiting around for the book". And then Anne Hathaway gets so on top of her game that Miranda finally lets her drop off the book? I feel like that's me, and they feel I'm no longer a psycho. Well, hopefully they never did. But you know what I mean.

Sorry this post is all words and all about work (again). But that's all I got.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Courtney said...

girl we are in the same boat.
my schedule. wake up at 7am go teach lessons until 3pm. Go home shower and change and head to work at the mall from 4-9pm

I swear it's harder to work than go to school.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

OMG I was beginning to think the same thing. Like I think school and that schedule is hard? It's nothing compared to work! But hey, at least we get paid to be at work, unlike the other way around for school ;)

10:41 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

I've been doing 5 am wake ups and 30 minute commutes for the last five years. When and if I get laid off I won't be crying. In fact I might just be doing cartwheels.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I'm VERY proud of you Boo! I know one thing; your sooo looking forward to the new semester starting. LOL
Just look at it this way: You'll now know what to expect after you get your Masters, right? :}
By the way, do you have your own fax machine in your cubicle? The downstairs fax machine at my work is next to my desk. I'll fax ya! Keep up the good work and I hope you enjoy the 4th of July weekend!! Tootles

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Aunt Lennie said...

Ally, I bet you look forward to the weekends more than ever now :)

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home