Monday, June 15, 2009

Workin' For a Livin', Takin' What They Givin'

Back from my first day at Costco bbs! Other than wanting to saw my head off with a dull butter knife from the headache I got (probably from not eating, more on that later), it went rather well.

I began the day at 7:45, which meant I was up by 5. Sometimes I wish I wasn't a girl and/or I didn't care, then I could have slept in an hour and not straightened my hair. Obviously, that is not possible though. Daddy went with me on my first official drive, and we also brought Lola, our gps. I don't think I'll have any problem getting there by the end of the week. And I'm on my own the rest of the summer for the 27 minute commute there and back.

I arrived and got my temp badge and buzzed my way back. I then sat there for a little bit as I had arrived before my supervisor. I chatted with the men in my cubicle (cubicle!). Then when my supervisor arrived we tried to get my computer to work, to no avail. So I spent most of the morning (from 8-10) watching my supervisor do what he does, and taking notes.

Then we had a meeting within our department (our! department!) to discuss the budget, which happens every Monday. I got to sit in, and once we went over the numbers we compiled everything and had a meeting at 10 with the GMM (the head honcho) to discuss the budget, and I got to sit in on that too. Jack, the GMM, even addressed me by name =)

Afterwards I did some more watching, and then Rich, my supervisor gave me the grand tour of the three buildings. I got to see all the departments, the delis (read:cafeterias), and the gym.

Then it was time for my internship orientation. I basically watched instructional videos, filled out paperwork so that I can get paid, and got my Costco ID/badge. I had waited to eat lunch because my supervisor said they would probably give me lunch at orientation, which seemed plausible. Unfortch for me, they did not, so all I ate today, before dinner, was breakfast of a banana and crackers, a werther's sucking candy, and six chees-its. Needless to say, I was happy the day was almost over. Then it was time for me to go home.

I am exhausted, and now I understand why my mom goes to bed at 9. But I also am beginning to feel like a grown-up.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Courtney said...

oh so cute, beautiful id badge and outfit. can't wait to hear about this more...
have fun tomorrow!!!!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

Little girl, I know that was a typo. Don't you mean to quote the great Donna Summer, "She works hard for the money/so hard for it honey/ so you better treat her right" instead of that cheesy Huey Lewis (sorry Stephan).

8:20 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Thought of you this morning. Glad your day went well!

9:13 PM  
Anonymous The colons said...

You look great!! Love you in the corporate outfit! We're dying to see what your cubicle looks like! You'll have to take a pix and send it to us! Hope the rest of the week goes smooth for you...

2:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have a cubicle?!? Do you realize how jealous I am of you right now? I've been at Sun Chlorella for almost 8 years and I never had a cubicle :( No ID badge, either...well, not with pictures. Just a name on a sticker. Cheap.

So, so jealous... ;)

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Not Kobe said...

Working for a livin', Al did well going with the Huey Lewis reference. Congratulations on your new job and your first day of earning the legal tender. You will do well. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, time to change the subject to the 15 time NBA World Champion Los Angeles Lakers. Congratulations to Fish, Kurt, Luke, Lamar, and the boys. The game was nary finished when I called the number one Laker fan of all time, Paul Eyre, and we soaked in the "Thrill of Victory".

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Not Your Dad said...

Who took those wonderful pictures? The lighting was perfect and the shot was well framed.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home