Saturday, June 30, 2012

Grad Swag Bags

Despite the excitement leading up to my graduation, there was one thing that I could not wait to unveil. Not me in my cap and gown, though that was a gratifying sight. Not my red diploma holders, one of which I forgot to hold up for the photographer after I walked across the stage :/ It was my party favors, which Mama and Aunt Adri carefully planned for several months and that I was so proud to give out. Here is a peek behind the process-
 Mama hand dusted every glass flute before she put it in the box like the true Mexi she is.
We lined the precious cargo up on our breakfast bar like an assembly line.

Each detail of this package was personalized from the monogrammed bags to the smiling girl graduate on the glass with my name, university, and graduation date. 

Despite the assembly line my mama and I had going (the boys stayed downstairs, surfacing only to assemble boxes and rid the room of trash), this was my all important job. That's right, I was relegated to  bow placement for my own favors. Not to downgrade myself, getting those little babies perfectly straight was no easy task :)

 At one point my dad walked in and goes, "People are going to think they are going home with swag!" and I replied, "They are going home with swag!" And he is also curious how I am going to top this for my wedding, while simultaneously trying to get out of paying it, haha.
The contents of the bags.
Close up of the label. It would not be from me without a picture of yours truly.
The workshop.
Notice I am also the background on mama's computer. It seemed funny at the time that a blown-up version of the martinelli's label was also on the screen.
Finished products!
The bags may have thrilled me, but the last four years have been a whirlwind. I have so much to be grateful for, and a Jesuit education that pervades my job, family, relationships, and life more than I ever thought it would. I have made lasting friendships, tested my ethics, crafted my relationship with God, and dragged my family through it all with me. Beyond anything else, I count my blessings and look forward to the next grand adventure. 

I can  100% honestly, truthfully, gratefully say that I could not have made it through these last four years without your love and support to get me by. Every paper I stayed up writing until 2am, every quiz I aced, every book I skimmed (ahem, read from cover to cover) was to show my family (related and otherwise) why they should be proud of me. Thank you for being my everything.

And to my parents, I honestly do not say thank you enough for the things you do for me, little and big. Thank you for creating a special life in me, and for always giving me a place to come home to, whether it is the lavender room you so lovingly painted or your hearts.

Love to you all!

*Major photo cred and mad props to Amber at Tres Bird Photography for the full size photo of me on the Seattle University seal. She always does an amazing job and the pictures prove that. Honestly, if you are in the WA area (or feel like flying her in to exotic locales, I am sure she wouldn't mind :) please look her up!

2 Comments:

Anonymous aunt lennie said...

Loved the swag bags! Can't wait to see what you come up with for your wedding :)
Btw, the Martinelli bottle came in handy as we watched the Kings win the Stanley Cup on tv back in our hotel room. It was nice to be able to have a toast :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I so enjoyed helping your Mom with your graduation party planning. You earned it! I also look forward to your future wedding day....and you can tell your Dad, not to worry, we WILL find a way to top the swag bag idea! :)

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home