Sunday, February 21, 2010

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Routine

I, of all people, do not pretend to be mother nature herself. I am really bad at doing ecological things, I just started recycling when we moved to this state four years ago because it's the law, and Courtney has to unplug my phone charger every time she comes into my room because it's not charging anything. Courtney has just interjected aloud that she cannot live anywhere that does not mandate recycling, which pretty much only leaves her Oregon and parts of Washington.

ANYWAYS, the point of this blog is that I do a little recycling myself. Every week my former roommate Maddy lets me know when she has finished her People magazine for the week. I head over and get it from her, and this allows us to catch up on what has been going on in the past week of us being apart. Then I read it, soaking up all the gossip from the glossy pages. Lastly, my mom, who comes to my dorm room approximately every other weekend, will see the People magazine on my bookshelf and say, "Have you read that already?" I will always say yes, and she always takes it to read. Then hopefully it gets recycled.

So basically, this one little magazine makes it's way through three people, and it makes my ecological conscience feel better. I may not have rain collecting containers in my back yard to water my vegetable garden with in the summer (ahem, Courtney), but baby steps.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Courtney said...

baby steps are wonderful. make sure your mother recycles it though!!!

and you have to admit it is pretty cool to collect rain water and water plants with them is amazing.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous aunt lennie said...

I do the same thing with my People magazine but mine ends up on the counter at the laundry mat for all to enjoy.

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Not Your Dad said...

I, too, have been biten by the recycling bug, partially for the cost reductions that it brings, but mostly for the good of our planet. I, on the otherhand, do not believe any state or government entity should mandate recycling. People should do it because it's the right thing to do and because we'd like to leave our children, grandchildren, etc. a nice place to live. Once you start down that "Government Mandate" road, eventually, you will not be able to keep their hands out of anything. In fact, in this case, you may get a reverse psychological effect. If the government mandates good things like recycling, the pinkos may "stand up to the man" and not do it just because they don't want to be told what to do. I have some more thoughts on government, political parties, etc beyond the scope of this blog. If you'd like to see them and be better informed, follow me on Twitter, @notyourdad.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of which i'm done with this weeks people... let the cycle begin!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Courtney said...

I must disagree with "Not your Dad." People often times do not see the value of something until they are forced to participate in it, such as taxes. Perhaps taxes should be filed only by people who find it is the right thing to do, I mean I didn't use the police, the firefighters this year and I never used public school education so I will choose not to file taxes. How well would that go over with the government and those who need assistance. It would be awful if your house was to catch on fire but the fire engines couldn't afford to come because some people didn't feel paying was the right thing for them to do.

You would be left with no house, oh and no homeless shelters to take you in. bummer.

recycle!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

I always recycle, especially cans and bottles. Then the poor and needy come in the early morning hours to pull them out of my recycling bin on pick up day.
Even as a kid I recycled soda cans to get pocket money. (never got an allowance in my life)

3:26 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

I remember going on those recycling trips with your Aunt Lola and Tata. He let me save one can I didn't want to recycle. A HUGE Foster's beer can. He helped me turn it into a piggy bank.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home