Friday, February 19, 2010

And the struggle with Lent continues!

I texted my friend Lisa (the vegan) today, excited about today's lunch plans. We had been planning on going to Redmill (a burger joint that happens to serve delicious shakes and onion rings, and oh by the way, also happens to cook pounds of bacon at a time in a huge brick formation) for a week or two now, and today was the day we could finally make it work. Debating over which bacon creation I was going to get to go with my big flaky onion rings and mint chocolate milkshake, I came to a shocking realization, at the very same moment that Lisa texted me, Wait, can you even eat meat today?
I love being a Catholic (most of the time), don't get me wrong. But this whole no meat on Friday thing kills me every year. I don't know how Catholics followed this rule every Friday, pre-Vatican II. Every Friday becomes a challenge and meals have to be thought of way in advance, and strategically orchestrated from among the few option I can eat that don't contain meat.
I deliberated with Lisa, who does not eat meat any day of the year, and she suggested bahn mi. Bahn mi is a Vietnamese sandwich that is in french bread, with a meat option, and then carrots, cucumber, and a sweet sauce. There are other things that are usually in it that I generally pick out,
Walking down to the front desk where I used to work, Michael suggested we go to this place on Pine and Bellevue. Boy am I glad we did.
We decided to be adventurous and ordered a fresh spring roll appetizer, hers with tofu and mine with shrimp (thank the good Lord himself for considering seafood not meat). It was only $1.95, and was so handmade it was still lumpy. Regardless it was delicious and had just the perfect amount of noodles and lettuce, and the peanut sauce was some of the best I ever had.
We moved onto our bahn mi, both tofu (no meat), and I was surprisingly delighted. The bread was the best, crusty and warm. The sauce was sweet, and the tofu was cooked in a way that even I can tolerate. The carrots could have been a little fresher, but the cucumbers were nice and crunchy. All for $3.95!
With my drink that was less than a dollar and tax, I walked away with a lunch that was less than $7, and totally was worth my money. I am glad we made the decision to go there.
And don't you fret. Redmill is certainly going to be in the works for next week.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Not Your Dad said...

When I was growing up, "Not Your Oma" used to cook fish every Friday of the year, so it was no big deal not having meat. "Not Your Opa", by the way, ate Tofu when Tofu wasn't cool. He would eat it all the time on purpose, if you can imagine that.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

I consider fish meat because it is flesh but if the Vatican approves who am I? Anyways Ally, if you want some meatless meals ideas here are a few that I like:
BRC burrito @ El Pollo Loco,
macaroni & cheese @ KFC or KooKooRoo,cheese sandwich @ Subway, bean and cheese burrito @ TacoBell, or a personal pan cheese pizza (you know you can get these at target?)

As for a really great song, you should listen to Heart's "Barracuda". Ann and Nancy Wilson rule!

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Estephen said...

No El Pollo Loco up here "North of the Border". :-(

7:41 PM  
Anonymous the colon family said...

Hey Ally-
The next time we come to Seattle to visit, we want to eat at Redmill!! It sounds like a great place to dine. Burgers, shakes, and onion rings, oh my...

9:54 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Gosh, you make me hungry! You all are such good Catholics. I'm not worthy. I should change religion.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous the vegan said...

Goshdarn you, now I'm hungry. Lunch date next week? On the cheap, of course. wah wah one day a week without consuming animals. Do it for Jesus

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home