Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Howyadoinwhereyafromwhatsyamajor?! Part Deux

OK breathe. Let's see if I can resurrect my blog post as well as I wrote it the first time (see below post), and not throw my computer out the window in the process. It's times like this I wish I had a macbook despite the fact that the previous snafu probably had nothing to do with my computer being a toshiba. Except sometimes it behaves like a naughty bratty child.

Annndddd I'm back.

Do over!

If there were any indication that school is ramping up again, if it hasn't already, then it would probably be the fact that I spent all day in training hearing about the process for the BIG DAY, that would be move in day, this Saturday for the freshman (Sunday for the sophomores). As they told us in one of many power points, it's game time. And we have to get our game faces on. Watch the people, especially the RAs, line up behind me for war paint.

Besides the whole thing where I work at the front desk of my dorms, my mother has informed me there is a new THE FRESHMAN, an online blog about a first year college student on the The Daily Breeze's website (my hometown's paper for those of you not in the know). This year's kid is not so interesting. He goes to Berkeley. Not that I'm saying this makes for automatically boring fodder, but his first entry was about not making any new friends. And I'm also biased because last year's THE FRESHMAN was super funny and sarcastic and he went to my parent's alma matter (and the same high school that I went to for Freshman year) and then went on to LMU, where I was thisclose to going before attending SU's open house.

I think back on my first day almost a year ago, and I'm sort of glad I didn 't have to go through what the poor freshies are going through. I am part of Matteo Ricci College (two full degrees in 4 years, not just a double major, there is a difference, I will literally walk the stage twice). Thus I moved in two days before other non-MRC freshman, and there was no rush and hubbub. Granted, the Orientation people didn't carry my stuff up to my room, but I did get to set up shop without a lot of harassment.

That title up there? That is the nervous stream of babble that every freshman manages to blurt out when ever they come upon another fellow freshman. This is also what every person of higher importance asks you. But for the first month or so, this is a safe opener and eases the tension of an already awkward conversation.

But that's what is nice about being new. You're ALL new and you're all nervous.

This year I don't have the added stress of being new. And I am already fantasizing that this will be a new and improved year with a new and improved me.

I was going to end this with some things to look forward to, but they told us in training not to promise anything you can't keep your word to.

So I guess you'll just have to wait and see!!!

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You're a sophomore now! Omg, I'm old. Sophpmore year was the craziest year for me. So many things happening...
I hope your year goes much more smoothly than mine did.

:D

5:52 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

I just told my mom over the phone I am almost twenty. TWENTY!!! I sound old even to myself.

5:53 PM  
Blogger MaidenMeeshie said...

Yes, you are almost 20!!! I was a little 10 year old when you were born..awww :)

Btw, I don't know why sometimes I show up as Michelle and other times MaidenMeeshie...this thing is crazy.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

This means that you, I and Andrew are in increments of ten. Why did I never realize this before?

7:20 PM  
Anonymous The Colons said...

Good luck Ally! We'll be thinking of you on Sunday. Have an awesome second year!
PS Regarding your two degrees: I remember one is in Humanites but remind me what the second one will be?

7:33 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Right now it's English Creative Writing. But that may change.

7:53 PM  
Anonymous e.eyre (aka aunt lola) said...

Ally, I absolutely love how you've always been goal oriented. Please, please, please tell me you are going to graduate school! Me thinks that would be a good idea.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Oh yes, graduating school is definitely at the top of the list. That goes without saying. Unless I decide to drop out and just work for Costco and quit while I am ahead and just pay the student loans I have accrued in just one year instead of four. And I am only half joking. No but seriously I will finish school. Or at least stay in it long enough to get some warehouse experience.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Not your dad said...

Just to clear things up. Aunt Lola was asking if you were going to Graduate School (masters degree) and you responded that you were going to graduate from school (bachelor's degree)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

Sorry I tend to skim read things in the worst possible way, right Courtney?! Uhm yes I will probably attend graduate school. If I can get night and weekend classes so that I can work a full time job. Luckily for me most grad classes are at that time (probably because a lot of grad students DO have jobs).

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Aunt nennie said...

Ally-
Uncle Scott and I still hope you attend San Diego State for your graduate program so we can live vicariously through you!

GO AZTECS!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Boogs said...

Welcome back to school! Before you know it you'll rule the roost! Enjoy the year. I know it will be filled with whole new memories! ;)

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home